Tenor Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Requiem, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    Hi, I just have a small question. I was defreting a bass. This is a fender copy. I want to convert it to a tenor bass. No my question is: What do I need to do to it so that I can turn it into a tenor bass? Is it the strings, or the bridge or what? If so where can I get this type of equipment? I live in costa rica, so please consider Internet an option....

Thank You guys very much!!!

Bassically Yours

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    First, you'll have to get a new nut. The filed grooves in it will be too big, and all the strings with just buzz. I believe you can order them from www.stew-mac.com or www.allparts.com . I suggest brass, unless you have to do it yourself. Someone will have to tell you how file things correctly if you do it yourself. If you can, i'd recommend taking the bass to someone. This is crucial though; it wont work if you dont do that.

Then you need to get a set of strings with a high C (or, get a 5 string EADGC set and save the E for other basses) and string it up with that. Labella makes an EADGC set, and probably a ADGC set. Check www.juststrings.com .

Lastly, since I believe the C has more tension than the E, you may or may not need to tighten the truss rod slightly.

And youre set! The pickups and bridge should be fine.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tenor bass? Isn't that just another name for a guitar?
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Requiem, You wouldn't happen to be a Fender employee named Rich Briere, are you?

Will C.:cool:
  5. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    No man , I live in costa rica.

hey thanx everybody. I'll check out those sites.