1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tenor Tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MNbassist, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Ive got a 4 string Bolt on and I wanna know if I need higher strings for tenor tuning ( A-D-G-C ). I figure standard strings tuned that high will add a lot of un-wanted tension to the neck. Anyone know if Wooten sets up his fodera with higher strings?

2. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I have no idea what Victor Wooten does... though the most common way to adjust your bass for drastic down or up tuning is to use a lighter guage strings. When you're uptuning a fourth each string like you are, it's especially important because of the aformentioned tension issue. Go strap on some super lights.

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Correct. You'll want to take off the E string, put the A in its place, and string from there. Then add a C.
    Don't know about Victor.

4. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Would you need a new nut to do this?

5. a new nut is recommended, but it may not be necessary. it depends on your bass. ymmv

6. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    +1 to Superjesus.

*Need*? No. I recently restrung my fender jazz 24 in tenor tuning and the D-string rattles around in the nut noticeably, but I only hear it playing unplugged. Long term, it's a good idea - but it isn't absolutely positively critical.