1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tension And Tuning Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ibanez55, May 29, 2007.

1. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Hey Guys,

I play alot of metal music, mostly requiring me to tune down to CGCF. Unfortunatley as most of you know when i tune down i lose alot of my tone and tension. This causes alot of the "floppy" sound and feel on my fret board. This REALLY makes me mad. I have tried everything to get rid of this problem.I have taken it to a professional repair shop twice to get it setup "profesionally". I have raised my gauge from .45-.105 to .50-.110. and have even bought a cheap bass that had a 35" scale neck as a test to see if that would help before i spent alot of money on a good sounding one. None of this helped. After doing endless research i think i have come to a conclusion and would like your advice to see if anyone has tried it or has heard of it etc. I have found two pro bass players Mike D'antonio {Killswitch Engage} and Clint Norris {As I Lay Dying} that have claimed to use .55-.120 gauge strings on their basses which happens to be the same bass i have [Ibanez Srx700]. On their live dvds their tone sounds rich and full with no flopping sound except from distortion. Is this heavy Gauge string the answer to this HUGE problem. I really need this bass to feel like a regulary tuned up bass or it will sound and feel like crap. Please give me some input.

P.S.- I dont want a five string.

Thanks

2. andy311

andy311 Llama Taboot Taboot

May 24, 2007
    oxford, ms
    hey, i also play in th cgcf tuning alot and have had the same dilema as you have had on my spector legend. it used to really anger me as well so i decided to go for the top four strings on a 5 string set .125 b string. and just tune to c well i could tune to a c# and the tension was fine. but still some problem down to c. but i never tried a .120 b but i think that that will help out alot. so just try it and c i guess. i just gave up cuz the band broke up and i no longer drop that low. experiment.

3. pjwalsh

pjwalsh

May 3, 2006
    Elkton, Md
    Two steps down is very low - I would definitely go for the heaviest gage string you can find as thicker strings will have more tension relative to a lighter gage tuned to the same tone. Maybe the bottom of a 5 string set in which the lowest string is designed to have the proper tension a step below the C you desire.

Why not a 5'er?

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There are .115 and .120 sets - one or the other will do your C on 34" or 35"

You should check the Strings forum - this is covered several times in there.

5. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    Heavier guage means more tension. It's really a function of mass so try some different brands of strings as some will be tighter than others. Round wounds are less tight than flats.

6. Get a heavy gauge 5 string set. Use the B string and tune up to C. Keep the ADG strings and tune them 2 steps lower.

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
  8. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Horrible advice. Then you'll have one string at a tighter than normal tension and 3 loose rubber bands.

Heavier gauge means more tension... when tuned to the same pitch.

As was already stated, tuning down 2 whole steps is A LOT. Going from 45-105 to 50-110 is nothing. A 110 is still in E-string territory. You just need heavier gauge strings like the 2 bassists in the examples you gave and you'll be all set.

9. I set up Chelsea's 4-string LTD (www.aroarah.com) as a permanent drop tuner. It is strung with GHS Boomers in 50~115. She prefers NPS, midway between nickel and stainless.

They're playing a big gig in Bakersfield this weekend, where she will see how it flies. These are the heaviest gauge I could find in NPS 4-string sets. If still limp, I'll do a 5-string set and rework the nut for those big cables.

10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York

Do you think she'd be comfortable on a 39.5" scale? If she'd be willing to try it, it would instantly solve all of her problems, and yours.

11. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    thanks guys great advice i think im going with the 5 string set the nut should be able to handle it its not that much more of a jump

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021