Tension And Tuning Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ibanez55, May 29, 2007.

1. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Hey Guys,

I play alot of metal music, mostly requiring me to tune down to CGCF. Unfortunatley as most of you know when i tune down i lose alot of my tone and tension. This causes alot of the "floppy" sound and feel on my fret board. This REALLY makes me mad. I have tried everything to get rid of this problem.I have taken it to a professional repair shop twice to get it setup "profesionally". I have raised my gauge from .45-.105 to .50-.110. and have even bought a cheap bass that had a 35" scale neck as a test to see if that would help before i spent alot of money on a good sounding one. None of this helped. After doing endless research i think i have come to a conclusion and would like your advice to see if anyone has tried it or has heard of it etc. I have found two pro bass players Mike D'antonio {Killswitch Engage} and Clint Norris {As I Lay Dying} that have claimed to use .55-.120 gauge strings on their basses which happens to be the same bass i have [Ibanez Srx700]. On their live dvds their tone sounds rich and full with no flopping sound except from distortion. Is this heavy Gauge string the answer to this HUGE problem. I really need this bass to feel like a regulary tuned up bass or it will sound and feel like crap. Please give me some input.

P.S.- I dont want a five string.

Thanks

2. andy311

andy311 Llama Taboot Taboot

May 24, 2007
    oxford, ms
    hey, i also play in th cgcf tuning alot and have had the same dilema as you have had on my spector legend. it used to really anger me as well so i decided to go for the top four strings on a 5 string set .125 b string. and just tune to c well i could tune to a c# and the tension was fine. but still some problem down to c. but i never tried a .120 b but i think that that will help out alot. so just try it and c i guess. i just gave up cuz the band broke up and i no longer drop that low. experiment.

3. pjwalsh

pjwalsh

May 3, 2006
    Elkton, Md
    Two steps down is very low - I would definitely go for the heaviest gage string you can find as thicker strings will have more tension relative to a lighter gage tuned to the same tone. Maybe the bottom of a 5 string set in which the lowest string is designed to have the proper tension a step below the C you desire.

Why not a 5'er?

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There are .115 and .120 sets - one or the other will do your C on 34" or 35"

You should check the Strings forum - this is covered several times in there.

5. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    Heavier guage means more tension. It's really a function of mass so try some different brands of strings as some will be tighter than others. Round wounds are less tight than flats.

6. Get a heavy gauge 5 string set. Use the B string and tune up to C. Keep the ADG strings and tune them 2 steps lower.

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
  8. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Horrible advice. Then you'll have one string at a tighter than normal tension and 3 loose rubber bands.

Heavier gauge means more tension... when tuned to the same pitch.

As was already stated, tuning down 2 whole steps is A LOT. Going from 45-105 to 50-110 is nothing. A 110 is still in E-string territory. You just need heavier gauge strings like the 2 bassists in the examples you gave and you'll be all set.

9. I set up Chelsea's 4-string LTD (www.aroarah.com) as a permanent drop tuner. It is strung with GHS Boomers in 50~115. She prefers NPS, midway between nickel and stainless.

They're playing a big gig in Bakersfield this weekend, where she will see how it flies. These are the heaviest gauge I could find in NPS 4-string sets. If still limp, I'll do a 5-string set and rework the nut for those big cables.

10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York

Do you think she'd be comfortable on a 39.5" scale? If she'd be willing to try it, it would instantly solve all of her problems, and yours.

11. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    thanks guys great advice i think im going with the 5 string set the nut should be able to handle it its not that much more of a jump