1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tension difference between 3/4 and 4/4 spiro Solo strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BostonPop01, Jan 11, 2018.

1. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Could someone tell me the tension differences between 3/4 and 4/4 spirocore Solo strings on a 3/4 (41.5 string length) bass (in solo tuning!)?

I use spiro mittels on the lower two strings for orchestral playing and love the bright, insanely powerful organ-like tone they get out of my bass, even right out of the package. (I use Belcanto on the upper two but have considered using reds on top, which I use on my other bass). I put on the 4/4 spirocore strings for an upcoming recital and somehow they aren’t even vaguely comparable. A bit lower tension, yes. But no cajones and I have to be careful with how much weight i put in the string. The spiro mittels in orchestral tuning take as much as i can give.

Did I get the wrong set? Would the 3/4 be more what I’m looking for? I would like to have a set that gives me the feeling I’m still in orchestral tuning, at least in regards to “feel.” Am I expecting too much from the strings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Get the excel file that you can find in my Dropbox (link in signature) and inform yourself.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    What I think you're saying is you expected Spiro 4/4 solo strings IN SOLO TUNING to have the same output as Spiro mediums in Orchestral tuning. That is what I assumed was the case too, but I do remember reading somewhere that solo strings have a lower tension low string than compared to their orchestral counterparts.

I think if you want more tension in solo tuning you should grab the 3/4 sized spiro solos and tune them to solo tuning (F# B E A)

4. Max George

Max George

Dec 27, 2015
    This has the numbers

Attached Files:

5. This is true, but a lot of bass players don't know how to interpret them correctly.

That's why I made my Excel file. Download it and study the numbers which are recalculated to the same (definable) string length and also contain tension for downtuned solo strings.

6. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks, I'll go ahead and do that. I will have to accept that solo-tuning strings typically have quite a bit less tension than their orchestral tuning counterparts. The extra 2-3kg will probably help a bit in getting that "mittel-orchestral feel" and I believe that the 3/4 are slightly bigger in diameter than the 4/4 version. I guess my new instrument can just handle tension. The spirocore solo 3/4 still be 6-7kg off from the orchestral version, but as with everything it's a compromise! I'll also see if splitting a solo set helps anything (bel canto on top and spiro 3/4 on the bottom). I'm surprised more people don't do that in solo tuning since many orchestral bassists tend to break up sets and do 3 upper strings (bel canto, Flex deluxe, etc) over 1 lower string (Spiro, etc.) or 2 lower and two higher (as many cellists do).

Thanks also to DoubleMIDI for the extremely helpful spreadsheet!