1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tension: EP Solos vs Spiro Solos tuned to Orch.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by James Gibson, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Hello Everyone!

Can anyone with experience with these two strings comment on the difference (if any) in tension? I've found plenty of information on the Spiro's but I can't seem to find any on the Evahs.

Thanks!
    James

2. Bump.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The Evahs have more meat on the string and pulled a fatter, louder sound on my bass. They felt similar tension-wise, but that is very bass dependent and very subjective.

James Gibson likes this.
  4. Thank you Eric!

5. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Eric, are the Evah solos much darker than the Weichs when tuned to orchestra pitch? I'm putting more time in on my 4/4 bass again and want to re-visit putting "real" strings on it again, but I'm worried about going with something too dark...

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    No, I don't remember them being darker at all.

7. Hey,

My Yamaha eub is strung with evah solo down tuned to orchestra pitch. I find this setup great for a short scale (98cm) there is still some tension but very easy on the hands, and a very nice tone. I used to have these stings on a regular bass, also a short scale wich is now strung with spiro solo. I find them to be thinner in diameter and a bit stiffer on my lh, but the tone is closer to what I need at the moment. When I downtune them they give a nice jazz tone but I think the combination of a low tension and strings diameter makes it harder to play than evah hope this helps

Sasha