Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tension in lower arms

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bram B., Sep 11, 2001.

1. I've got a problem with RSI for a year or two now. My playing time is severely limited to three or four hours a day, if I keep an eye out all the time for tension.
    I wonder what you do to prevent the tension, or doesn't it trouble you at all?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has been mentioned a few times before and in the Pros forum. The advice I have seen from Pros teachers etc. in cases like this, is to go for a low action and as light a touch as possible. Turn up the amp if necessary and don't use your fingers to produce more volume.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of arm troubles are caused by tension in the neck and shoulder region, stretching exercises and massages can help.
    Bruce is right too.

4. I hear what you're saying, but those are physical solutions. I know, I didn't specify that, but I'm looking for mental solutions. I've tried a lot of relaxing and stretching exercises for the body, including going to a physiotherapist when it was too bad, but I'm beginning to believe it's all in the head.