1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tension in the neck

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wes, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Wes

Wes

Jun 18, 2005
    I won't go into detail to how...

But what I wanted to know is: my neck isn't at risk at all is it? Because my friend told me if you leave your bass without any strings for too long the tension in the neck goes all - in his words - "spazzy".

So I put the remaining two strings (E and A) on in the E and G positions very tight because I was so paranoid of it happening.

Is this even true though?

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have read more to the contrary, that you should loosen the strings *some* when storing, shipping, etc. I have also heard it's ok to do nothing, but I've never heard you should do what you're doing...having super high tension. I don't understand why you don't just put a set of strings on the bass, and tune it to standard tuning, but if you only have 2 strings, an "E" and an "A", I think I'd put them where they belong, tuned properly, or maybe a step down.

3. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    As far as I know, it's okay to have the bass with no strings for an extended period of time, so long as the truss rod isn't so tight that the neck is very bowed backwards (convex). I would put the two strings on to give the neck some tension, then loosen the truss rod, then take the strings off and leave it like that. As for how much to loosen the truss rod, I believe that you could just loosen it probably 3/4 of a turn or so, just until the neck is relatively straight when the tension is taken off.

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Put all four strings on and tune down a half step if you are going to leave it for months of idleness. If it is short term days or weeks even tune it to proper pitch and don't worry.