1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tension Measurements: Pyramid Gold Flats & TI Powerbass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dcarwin, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Today I use TI Powerbass rounds (107) and Pyramid Gold Flats (105) all long scale. I wanted to see if I could interchange without invoking a truss-rod adjustment, but it looks like the tensions are different enough that isn't gonna happen.

1 - I wanted to confirm the measurements I found:

Pyramid Nickel Flat Bass Lg-Sc = 164.9 pounds

Source: http://www.pyramid-saiten.de/catalogue/katalog_12_eng.pdf Page 29 string set 640/1

TI Powerbass = 183.62 pounds

Source: http://www.thestringguy.com/tension.html

2 - Looking for suggestions on alternative strings to give me a better match. Maybe Fender flats?, or a different set of rounds. I want minimal fret noise and strong fundamentals.

Thanks for all suggestions.

2. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Forgot to add: If you have a pointer to more tension charts or databases, I'd appreciate that too, so I can look.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    It'd be great to have a thread that lists the overall tension of as many different brands and types as possible. I'll go looking to see what I can find. :D

Incidentally, at what point do most ppl feel that the difference in tension is too high to simply make the swap without having to do a truss adjustment?

4. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Funny thing to me is that even though the Pyramids have lower tension, they feel like they have higher tension. The Powerbass feel springy.

5. You're describing the fundamental difference between rounds and flats. Flats are naturally stiffer due the the way they're constructed, but it does not necessarily translates to more tension (linear pulling force).

6. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Well, this realization that I prefer the stiffer feel of flats had led to converting two of my basses from rounds to flats.

Anyone have an idea of string tension of fender 9050cl set compared to pyramid golds? Tension on golds is listed above, so the question is around the tension of the fender strings. Thanks