1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tension on ernie ball cobalt flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by drewphishes, Oct 26, 2018.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    wondering how these compare to chromes. I love the high tension of chromes, but would like a bit more zing.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    First, EB cobalt 2814 has less zing new from pack than any nickel round, but she is bright and growl.
    Second, hard to compare the unbalance tension ECB81 with EB cobalt flat.
    The EB 2814 tension are little higher than 7250M 45-105 but lower than GHS PW7200ML.
    String to string stiffness are quite balance.

If you need higher tension set of Cobalt flat , try 2812.

Hopehelp.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    In My experience the EB Cobalt flats are not as high tension as the Chromes . Always had to adjust the truss rod when I put on Chromes Did not have to adjust it with the EB Cobalts. I usually run GHS Pressures woumd ML7200 and these feel like the same tension.

4. Rock Salad

Rock Salad

Jun 30, 2018
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    Agree, had to loosen a tad from Chromes to Cobalts. But the Cobalt sound higher tension on my bass in the way they clank and in the attack of each pluck. Could be stiffness as opposed to tension I dont know. Liking the Cobalts.

5. Their stronger attack has more to do with the magnetically responsive nature of the cobalt alloy itself and how they interact with the pickups rather than the tension.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Tension depends on the gauges you are referring to, Chromes will not be high tension if you use 85 65 45 32 for EADG. A string line cannot be 'high tension'.
    Do you both mean: for the same gauge?

7. Assuming the OP by "tension" is referring to stiffness/flexibility rather than the actual tension (ie pulling weight), I would say the EB Cobalt flats are a little more flexible than the Chromes of the same gauges, while not as loose as the TI Flats.

EB achieves the relative flexibility of the Cobalt flats (compared to traditional flats) by leaving slight gaps in between the outer wrap wire, almost giving them the appearance of "half-rounds".

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Yes and As described above have not measured the tension just what it takes to play/ feel and they feel easier to play than chromes. No Chromes bashing going on just stating IMHO YMMV