1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tension problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PedersenBass, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Hi,

I'm new to this forum so this will be my first post - although I have been lurking around for some time.

I was trying to find a thread that resembled my problem but was out of luck, so here goes.

I have just acquired a new Classic Series 50’ P bass. It plays great, looks good and even has a nitro finish. I wanted to restring it with BEAD tuning and therefore got myself some strings suitable for exactly that. BEAD TUNED BASS BOOMERS® (Medium).

I got the strings and tuned the bass up to match the BEAD tuning. I noticed, however, that the angle of which the E string (.105) had from the tuning peg to the nut wasn’t quite right. So I went to adjust it by loosening the string. Now my "perceived" problem arises. As I tune up the bass while fixing the angle problem, I accidentally tuned the E string up too far – sounding like an A note. As soon as I found out, I quickly detuned to the strings proper tuning. Of course, I am concerned for the wellbeing of my new bass – but is there anything at all to be worried about?

TL;DR: I tuned my .105 E string up way too high in my BEAD tuning – should I be worried about anything?

Sincerely, Max

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would think the string would snap well before over-tightening one string would cause any permanent harm to your neck (and even if so, there is nothing you can do now). Just be careful in the future.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you're fine, no worries! --- but we'll have to deduct points for not having pictures of your new instrument! i vote 3 points (-3). :D

saabfender likes this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My guess is you'll be all right - if it didn't snap at that tension, it'll last a good while at "normal" tension.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I hate to tell you, but you have likely compromised the integrity of the cellular structure of the wood your neck is made of. It is now likely to implode at some point while playing it causing a small black hole that will consume anything around it.

You are fine, a bass neck is a chunk of hardwood with a steel rod inside of it. It is not at all fragile.

96tbird and saabfender like this.
  6. Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. I'll try to be more carefull next time :) I'll also take a picture of the bass next time i hit our rehearsal space.

Sincerely, Max