1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tension... this time its a little more complex.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So lets say there are two sets of strings, set A and set B.

Set A is a guage 100 E string and is HEX-CORE, NON-Tapered.

Set B is a guage 110 E string and is ROUND-CORE, Tapered.

and suppose both are nickle-plated steel. For the sake of simplicity, also suppose both are from the same manufacturer.

Now for the question!!!
    Which set will have more tension, and which set will be more flexible? Please explain the reasoning as well.

thanks for your time and patience, if this is a stupid question please forgive me. It's just been bugging me and i don't know how to think through this problem because of the taper/roundcore vs hexcore factors.

THANKS and Rock ON :bassist:

2. i think, even with roundcore, the 110 set would be more tense and less flexible than the 100...

3. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Dec 28, 2012
    Hex cores are slightly less flexible than round cores, so with the difference in gauge, there shouldn't be a lot in it playability wise. I use heavy Roto 77 flats with a .110 E as I like my strings tight. I find fast picking and 'galloping' (i play a lot of Iron Maiden stuff in my band) easier with higher tension.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021