1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tension!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jeff Guevin, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jeff Guevin

Jeff Guevin I know you love me like cooked food.

Nov 6, 2005
    Binghamton, NY
    Hi all,

I just had my soundpost adjusted a bit, looking for a quicker response in the sound. I certainly got it, but what I also got was a noticeably higher tension in the A, D, and G strings. Is that a normal/common thing? I'm using Dominants for A, D, and G, and Spiro for E. I only had the soundpost nudged a bit, so I'm quite surprised! It's actually kicking my ass, too--playing the bass is definitely more work now.

Of course I'll be asking the luthier who did the adjustment, too, and would have already if I had noticed the difference while in the shop. But I figured I'd also check on The Internet, where All Is Known.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. ...judging from what I know about the mechanics of the instrument, it´s like this (anybody feel free to correct me on this, if there´s mistakes). The soundpost is there to release the top plate to let it vibrate once a string starts to pull more on the neck than in standby mode (thus, whenever you play a note). So, if the soundpost adjustment is made so that it sits tighter than before, the tension between top plate and back plate (on the back plate, especially) is higher, and the bass feels stiffer. That´s at least what I experienced recently, or so it seems. Effects get increased by humidity changes also, that was the case with my bass.

Again, I´m no luthier, and what I wrote was from memory (some luthier explained it to me once), and I might well be wrong. Check with the pro also, like you wanted to anyways.

Best
    Mathias

3. maybe it's a just a matter of the instrument settling to the adjustment. It might be stiff for a couple days and then start to settle. I'm no expert though.