1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tensions straps???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CorryJobin, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I've seen a few high end basses with what appear to be bracelets wrapped around the headstock just after the nut. What are these things? And yes I realize this sounds ridiculous :)

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Could be a few different things. Some people put a soft hair tie there to mute open strings when tapping.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    A lot of times it's a hair "scrunchy" or some other type of bracelet designed to put a little bit of pressure on the string windings to deaden any vibrations.

4. It's a mute that they slide down just on the other side of the nut. I've never done it myself but that's what it is.

5. Like others mentioned, I use just a plain black hair tie. I use it for when I tune down. It adds some tension to the strings when they are so loose. Keeps some of the "floppy" out of the sound.

6. Thanks everybody.

Cheers!