Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tentative D-112XLT Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Okay, I think I'm the first turkey on TB to buy one (I'm a turkey by nature, not because I bought the cab ;) so here it is, my take after playing it for a few days. Going to gig with it tonight.

I'm primarily using a Clarus, a Smith BSR-4J, Alembic Essence and German upright with Realist.

I haven't used alot of the 1x12s (besides the Aguilar, which I liked and the Scout, which I didn't feel was really focused) on the market. So take it with a grain of salt. I'm primarily playing straightahead jazz and fusion.

The design philosophy of this cab seems to be "design a small cab that will go through the mix like a bullet." It's a loud cab, but moreover, it's main tonal quality is a tight upper-mid punch. With the Alembic, it thickens up it's otherwise slightly thin scooped-ness without muddying the tone. With the Smith, you really need to EQ some of the midrange out...due to the fact that the Smith's also got a pronounced upper-mid voicing.

I want to make it clear that it's not boxy or nasally -- but it's definitely aggressive. It's smooth, but it's clearly made to motor through the mix. It makes mids sound *good* again!

The bottom is nice and tight, and thumps without getting boomy (key for upright!). "Tight" pretty much sums up the whole cab.

As for top end, it's clear and defined without being harsh. It almost, but doesn't quite have the sparkly/glassy upper highs (or the tweeter hiss to go along with them). However, it's still suited for slapping with a little EQ. I'm actually using the cab in conjunction with my SWR 1x10 cab and it's a great combination...The 10" and Le-Son tweeter fill in those glassy highs when I want them.

It's a great upright cab due to it's tight low-end. It's not boomy at all, and the midrange gives good definition without any harshness.

One other thing I want to note is that the 112 takes EQ'ing really well. Though slamming upper-mids are the primary focus, the EQ I give it comes through very naturally. I don't feel like I'm fighting with the cab when I'm trying to dial in the sweet-spot for one instrument or another. (This might also have to do with how natural the Clarus' EQ is).

I'm probably missing something, so if anyone has more specific questions about it I'll try and answer.

Will :)

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I saw this box at NAMM. Thought it killed. I'm looking
    for an all around box. Not too colored. The SWR
    goliath jr II that I have now is too scooped for the
    acoustic bass. Are the mids very scooped sounding
    with your upright? Does the box have enough lows
    for electric bass? Do you use a 5 string?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice review, wilby!

and kudos for using a Clarus as the head. pretty transparent, and a good way to really judge how the Eden itself sounds. :cool: well, not that you had a choice. ;)

oh, and how was the overall carry and gigging weight? i'm guessing you didnt really break a sweat with it.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Carrying weight is fine. I wouldn't want to carry it 20 blocks, but it's really portable, just a little longer than my 1x10.

Took it to the jazz gig last night, and the room had the worst acoustics for bass imaginable. I think the tweeters were the only thing you could hear. Nearly impossible to get a feel for the sound of anything.

I've got a 5-string jazz bass, the cab has lows for it in spades. Again, the lows are really tight, not indistinct.

It's not scooped out *at all*. I think it sounds good for upright, because of how tight the lows are. With alot of cabs, the upright lows start spreading out of control and you're fighting to cut them without leaving a honky sound.

Dunno if this makes any sense. As for "colored", I think this is such a silly adjective for electric bass sound. We've all got these instruments with preamps and knobs we tweak like crazy, and even our "Flat" outboard pre's have all kind of EQ's and filters. Then we argue about what gear "colors" our sound.

If play upright, I think this is a valid concern...the instrument truly has a "sound" which you can put your finger on and attempt to reproduce naturally with amplification. But with electric, I think everything about the sound is colored...it's just a matter of what color sounds good.

My .02...Will