1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Terra Pedaltrain Mounting Woes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    So I finally caved and bought a Pedaltrain Terra (with flight case!) to replace my "giant slab of plywood." Great idea, might be enough space for now (but my wife has already suggested a smaller pedalboard for "always on" pedals that can be left with the amp). And it was great because I already had a TrueTone Onespot 12 which comes with pedaltrain mounting brackets. So no issues, right?

Well, I don't have a drill so the mounting brackets aren't really going to help. I have seen some people recommend just velcroing it to the bottom, which would be fine, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how do to this while avoiding three issues: 1) cannot access the power ports on the front of the unit; 2) cannot access the main power port on the back of the unit; or 3) I locate the power supply closer to the front of the board, but there isn't enough room underneath. Has anyone conquered the terra beast and can offer me some advice, or even a picture of your solution?

(Oh, and people have recommended zip ties as well, but I have had zip tie failures at work and do not trust them for anything you need to rely on.)

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I would buy a drill, they're handy to have around or just go with zip ties and I couldn't imagine them breaking if you use large/wide enough ones.

Being and Bass likes this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I thought this would be the result. Neither my wife or I are handy at all (really, I cannot believe we are allowed to have access to fire) but it still seems like the best solution.

Maybe a pawn shop drill. If I am going to get something I will never use again, why not for $10!?

DirtyDuke likes this.
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Do you have any sort of electric screwdriver? You can get screws with a drill-bit type tip and basically screw them in. You probably need an electric screwdriver rather than a manual one to do that, but it's an option.

5. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Borrow one or rent one. Probably will need to supply your own bits. You may get self tapping screws to work but you would still need an electric screwdriver; trying to thread them in, by hand, will strain your hand severely.

6. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I zip tied it until I can locate a drill and hope it holds. (But it should, I used 8 zip ties rated for 40lbs each!)

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I’ve drilled Pedaltrain boards with a hand cranked drill. It’s incredibly easy since it’s aluminium. You can do it. We super believe in you.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I have the Pedal Train Pro and it was designed to mount a pair Voodo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus power supplies without modification. When the power supplies are mounted, the AC connectors are easily accessible from the back of the Pedal Train and all of the DC outputs are unobscurred and right where they need to be. I had to do some trouble shooting a few months ago. Removed two screws and the malfunctioning power supply slid right out. After it was repaired, I slid it back in and replaced the two screws and done.

Being as you already have the One Spot, barrow a drill...or maybe get help from a handy friend. Here's a demo.

9. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    So the board had made it into existence for the moment, and when I track down a drill I will make everything concrete.

Of course, having a board that can fit a full board on it for the first time, I hadn't realized that I no longer have enough patch cables for everything as I lent them out (I didn't need them at the time!). So, more delays before everything can find its home!

But at least it all works and isn't held together with shady plywood anymore! Pre-Board.

10. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Also, I just realized that this looks like a guitar rig and without my bass in the frame no one would ever know I was a bassist. Maybe I need a cheap "bass" pedal not hooked up to anything just for PR?

DirtyDuke likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta

If you aren't handy with power tools and you buy a drill:

FIND SOME PIECE OF SCRAP METAL TO PRACTICE ON FIRST BEFORE YOU START TRYING TO DRILL INTO YOUR EXPENSIVE PEDAL BOARD

When you feel confident on the scrap and are accustomed to the way the drill handles, then proceed.

End transmission.

13. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I needed to hear this. I might have done it but am a 30-year-old child and do need to be told things; it wouldn't be the first oops I would have ever had.

packhowitzer likes this.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Seriously though. I just drove the screws into the aluminum with a screwdriver. Didn't take that much effort and was done in less than 15 minutes.

packhowitzer likes this.
  15. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    LOL, here's my now retired "PT Pro". As you can see at one time I mounted *every* pedal without any velcro and used disassembled bike chain links to secure them (and metal brackets for some, I paid a local shop to cut from hardware store sheet metal). I did this because I'm in a humid place and had to store this sideways in my work locker(had a bad incident with velcro :( ).

I did use blue painters tape and a pen to mark where to drill, drilled throught the tape and then removed it. My point is don't worry about "messing up", you got plenty of space if you do... wear eye protection!!!

20180327_162103.

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. Dual Lock is perfect for this kind of thing, but the screws are actually easy.

17. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Not trying to be rude here, but if you have the dexterity to play an instrument, you can certainly use a power drill. After you drill that first hole (heh, think high school days), you be fixing all manner of things. If you wouldn't buy a cheap bass, don't buy a cheap drill for the same reason. Pawn shops are great for power tools. Spending a few bucks on a better tool here will save cash.