1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

terrible noise with SD replacement PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gbarchus, Nov 20, 2010.

1. I replaced the stock pickup in my CIJ '57 PBass with a raised "A" SD Antiquitiy. I followed the diagram supplied with the pickup and have a lot of noise when I'm not touching the strings. This being a "humbucker" design, I'm guessing I have a ground problem. I then used the diagram supplied on the SD website, which is different, with the same results.

Is this the correct wiring: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_pbass

I don't see that the volume pot is grounded.

Help me get rid of the noise!

Gale

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if the back of the pickguard has foil tape, or is a metal guard (like and ano-gold guard) then the star washers complete the ground on the pickguard from the pots to the output jack. if your guard is plain vinyl, just run a ground from the back of the pots to each other and the jack. and also make sure that the bridge is grounded, as well as the brass shield plate under the pickup.

it's common to have a little hum when not touching the strings on all p basses.