Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Terrible Sound! Help with new rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Dec 16, 2002.

1. I just got my new rig last week (avatar 4X10 and hartke 3500) and Ive been using it with my jazz bass at my house by myself and it was fine. Today i used it with the band for the first time and i got a terrible static/farting/distorted noise on top of the bass's sound (you could hear the bass, but there was added sound). The only differences between my setup at practice and my house was my house was bass-->cord-->rig. At practice it was same bass--->different cord-->boss ob3--->different cord--->boss ceb3--->different cord--->rig. Also, at practice i had everything pluged into a power strip. It didnt make this noise constantly, it came and went. Can someone help me?

2. Check every single one of your patch cables by swapping them out of the signal chain. Some of them might have poor shielding.

I was getting this problem with one of my instrument cables.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I also have the B410. But i have no problems with mine. Try removing some of your effects one at a time to see if the problem goes away. Also call Dave, he is very helpful (and nice too). You could have gotten a lemon (it happens to the best of em somtimes):)

4. First eliminate all effects and plug straight into the amp with a cord you know is good. Guitar -> Cord -> Amp. If you still get the sound you hate, then it has to be something with the amp. Most likely it is one of the effects overdriving.

5. the effects were not on and the amp worked fine all week at my house.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Boss pedals have a buffered bypass which means that the signal goes through them even when 'off'.

With any problem solving eliminate each element one at a time. Start as Greybeard suggested by taking out the effects.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Every time that happens to me, I change the cords. If it's still there, I check the in/out sockets/jacks, and fix what's the matter. Worked all the times, this far.

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Sounds like you have a loose input jack. Is that right? If so, it should be a simple mater to tighten it down (not too tight though) with a wrench or pair of pliers. If the jack is not loose, you could have a short, is your amp still under warrantee?

9. i got the cab from new from avatar a couple of weeks ago, so thats under warantee, the head i got on eBay, so the head better not be broken.

10. You're getting bent out of shape way before the situation calls upon you to do so.

TEST YOUR CABLES. Is that so hard?

11. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Does your cab have a tweeter?? Mine blew and it made just enough noise that I could not tell it was coming from my cab. I thought it was my batteries, jack or preamp.

12. Its just my guess, but I also bet you weren't turned up as loud at your house. If you cranked your gain or something at band practice, you could be overdriving the cab, or clipping the head, etc.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok here's what you do:

1. Make sure that none of your bandmates were farting through a staticy, distorted pa while you were playing your bass.

2. Make sure that YOU weren't farting while playing bass. (have you ever been known to create static/distorted sounds out of your a$$ in the past?)

3. Ahhh...that's about all I've got. Once you get past the flatulence I'm lost.

brad cook

14. Alright tried it with anew cable and took the effects out of the chain. Same problem. It actually seemed to work fine for about an hour and then shut off. I turned it back on and it started with the bad sound again and stopped producing sound after about 10 seconds of being turned on, which happened every time i turned it on and off. I am pretty sure its the amp, but what would make more sense, the head or cab?

15. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    It's the head. I would return it. The only other option is to send it in for repairs (which is probably why the snake put it up on ebay in the first place)

16. I dont think it was broken when he sold it to me, it worked fine for about a week.

17. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Hmm...You could try and contact Hartke. They could tell you whats' wrong , and where to take it to get fixed.

18. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You may want to try an outlet closer to the fusebox. This happend to my guitar player at a gig. There just was not enuff electricity at the end of the line. Just a thought it might be that

19. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    You might want to try a new 12AX7 in your amp.That sounds like a bad tube to me.