Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Terry Bozzio's new prototypical kit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Wow!! :eek: What else I can say?

2. Very impressive!

…but I see from the picture that he hasn't arrived yet…

(just like back in 1999 when he did a workshop here in NH… 2 (or was it 3) hours late - apparently he'd been shopping for antiques in Vermont, and didn't realise how long it would take to drive to Nashua… I wonder what Uncle Frank would have said?)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  4. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Those drums look insane! Must say I'm more the simple is better kind of guy, but I would sure love hearing him beat on those. :eek:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "You're fired".
    ...gotta get that in before Trump 'patents' it!
    ;)

I like the time Larry Bright was late for a clinic here(about 30 minutes late); a few people looked pissed as Bright entered with his Burger King bag.
    Bright said, "...I know what you're thinking, here's a guy who's supposed to be giving a drum clinic & he can't tell 'time'".
    Good ice-breaker.
    ;)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "I need a snare here....here...and here! you can never find a snare when you are mad!"

7. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I wanna see a drummer rock out on one of those one man band set ups. with the bass drum on the back, a cymbal on the head, snare on left thigh, and tom on right thigh.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw a clinic with Terry Bozzio at the Arlington GC about three weeks ago.

Umm Wow. I mean really. Wow.

The cluster of identically small drums on the left are diatonically tuned. He has had them for a while. The new part is that he has taken the diatonic idea to the whole rest of the set as well now. He would start with some ostinato and then 'drift' across pitches with those little piccolo toms. In the pic that webaddress covers ELEVEN pedals. It was odd. Definitely not any kind of drumming I was used to.

The best part of the clinic, from my point of view, was when a guitar player who is learning drums asked for tips on limb independence. TB said "Well there are only so many ways to combine in the first place. " He went on to quickly list the 16 combinations likely in straight time and the three ways to 'stretch' them, and then went on to demonstrate the 19 rhythm patterns that a limb can play agains a timekeeping beat. Very Very Cool.

9. 'What are drums for, when no one listens anymore?'

10. Yeah, but you knew he wanted a set like Terry's. :p

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Damn!
    Now that's funny!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Actually, Ringo coulda played that gig with only 2 drums + hat + a couple cymbals.
    There are pictures of McCartney playin' the toms when the drum parts got a little more 'busy'(like in The White Album daze).

;)

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey

Yea,it shows though. I get tired of hearing the same two toms and cymbals. -Luke

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I get tired of Jaco playing the same twelve notes. Pheh! You'd think a "bass genius" would be able to come up with more notes than that!

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And I just got reminded of something. At that clinic I noticed one of the (many) odd things about his set. I have since noticed several drummers with the same thing, Mostly 'heavier' drummers. TB had a secondary drum in front of his bass drums. Well, some of them. For his main bass drums he had sort of a 'drum extender', a drum as big around as the bass drum, and about half as deep as the bass drum, seeming to be attached to the front of the bass drum.

WHY DO THAT? I don't understand. Is it for look or for sound? I assume sound, but what does it do? Is the secondary drumm actually attached, as I guessed, or just placed REALLY close to the main drum?

Anybody who speaks drummer please translate for me.

16. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    :rolleyes: ;)

17. Yeah, that's DW's "Woofer". It actually increases the low end response out of the kick. You can make it sound like one of those Roland TB808 bass drums.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    And people give me $#@+ about my 8 string!!!

That's impressive!!!

19. I used to bust on Ringo all the time. While there's not a lot of time between Beatlemania and say... Mitch Mitchell, what Ringo was doing was just as innovative with a 4 piece kit. Check out Ticket To Ride, I Feel Fine, or Tomorrow Never Knows.

I love Cream and Blind Faith, and Ginger Baker is way cool, but his two studio drum solos have stick hits prominently 'featured.' I think 60's rock drummers had different standards that made them great. However simple it may look now, it was new back then.