Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassWizard45, Jun 15, 2001.

1. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    Ohh, Man!
    I just found a Tesla cd in my collection (that I didn't even know I had)....and man is it some good stuff. They play everything from sot of Punk an grunge, to some hillbilly folk.
    They kind of remind me of a new-age Deep Purple.

Has any one else heard of this band? I don't think they're very popular.
    Oh, and their bass player probably pretty good (but he's turned way down in the mix, what a shame...)
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    About 10 years ago, I used to play Love Song and Modern Day Cowboy when I was handling lead guitar duties. I've never played any Tesla basslines.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My favorite song by Tesla is "Signs." I saw them play live at Sunset Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale several years ago. They were an opening band then. The odd thing about it, though, was that they were BETTER than the band they opened for. In fact, I can't even remember the featured band, but I never forgot that I really enjoyed Tesla.
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I live in Sacramento, which is were Tesla is from. About 12 years ago I lived in this apartment complex with some friends who at the time were part of a local band, and Brian Wheat (bassist) was visiting someone who lived a few doors down. I think it was his brother, he stayed there for a couple of days. I remember me and my friend going to get a coke from the coke machine and he was there, we said Hi got our drinks and left. I also remember we walked by the apartment where he was staying and heard him playing bass. Kind of a cool experience.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Signs was originally recorded by the 5 Man Electrical Band in 1971 ;) .
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"Love song" is the typical song for a guitarist to impress chicks here, along with "Stairway to heaven".

This song appeared in the late eighties, a time when i was not listening rock music, because i started on bass with tropical music and i started to listen everything i could in this genre (although i think i didn't miss too much in rock). I accidentally heard this song on the radio and really liked it. I thought something like: "Wow! at last a good rock song in a long time!", so i bought the "Great Radio Controversy" album. I also have the "Five Man Acoustical Jam" and i think it's one of the warmest live recordings i've ever heard. Frank Hannon is a great guitarist. I thought Tesla would be a long running band, but i haven't heard from them in a long time. :)
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Slater, thanks for the reminder. I knew "Signs" was a cover, but I had no idea at all who played the original version.