1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Test an EBS TD650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave-Action-Fig, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Dave-Action-Fig

Dave-Action-Fig

Nov 28, 2006
    Hi folks,

I am going to test a used EBS TD650 this afternoon. Any things I should focus on? Things that break really quickly or some usual fabrique errors?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Check all the knobs and switches, look it over really well, make sure it works in general and doesn't overheat (doubtful that'll be a problem), make sure it will work for the impedance of your cab(s), make sure it sounds like what you want...the usual common sense stuff.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The 650 has a pretty good reliability record. Of course, make sure all the switches and knobs work, etc., and that the tube setting for the tube drive sounds good, etc.

The one thing I would check out is if it has enough power for you given its large size. It puts out significantly less power into 4ohms (440 watts) than most of the little micro amps that are out now. It will thunder into 2ohms, but if you are planning on primarily using it with one cab, it's really no louder than the much smaller and less expensive HD350.

However, it's a nice sounding unit, and plenty loud for most purposes at 4ohms. It's just very large and a bit heavy compared to the many other offerings out there at the moment.

4. Dave-Action-Fig

Dave-Action-Fig

Nov 28, 2006
    Alright!

Thanks for the advice.
    There is one thing I am still not sure about.
    It is a Solid State amp but with a Tube Pre-Amp right?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's pretty cool. It's actually a solid state amp and a solid state preamp, with a blendable 'drive control' that is switchable between a true 'tube overdrive' and the 'simulated tube overdrive' that the HD350 has.

So, you can have pure solid state, or you can dial in a bit of the tube drive control (I assume it's basically a second, blendable tube preamp) or you can dial in a bit of the solid state drive (which kind of works like the GK 'boost' control, adding a bit of harmonic 'complexity' that warms up the tone a bit.

There's a lot of sound in that drive control, so mess around with it off, with it on at low levels in either tube or ss mode to add some warmth, and cranked a bit to add a bit of growl and grit.

It's a nice circuit. The semi-parametric mid is cool on the 650 and 350 also. When boosted, it is a 'wide Q' that adds a gentle, wide range of midrange around the center point you pick. However, when cutting that control, it switches to a very narrow band notch control to get rid of feedback with DB, etc. Pretty cool.

Let us know how it goes.

6. It's a great amp. very clean sounding and very powerful, especially into 2 ohms

I passed one up many years ago and regret it to this day...

7. Dave-Action-Fig

Dave-Action-Fig

Nov 28, 2006
    Hello,

The deal went very well. Nice guy and the Amp only had some scratches but that's pretty normal. But the problem is that I don't have a cabinet. What kind of Cabinet do you guys advice me? Brand, impedance, speaker size and stuff like that.
    I did found out at home that the main volume button makes noise. Could that be a problem?
    And sorry for another dumbass question but the TD650 doesn't have a normal Jack out. What kind of speaker cable must I use?

Thanks,
    Dave

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Speakon connector:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

IMO you should buy a 4 ohm cab, like the EBS 410. You can add another cab later to get the max power out of the amp.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 a 4 ohm 4x10, or 2x12 for starters, and if you do add another, (for the full power and volume), make it a duplicate. 2 of the same cabs always (usually) sounds better than mix and match, which can be a bit of a gamble.

10. agreed two 4 ohm cabs of the same time would be the way to go