1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Test drive two active Jazzes.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paulabass, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I've got a Fender Deluxe active jazz ash on order at my local store (I'm under no obligation to keep it if I don't like it). Yesterday I was in another store, and they had an Elite active jazz ash, as well as the deluxe active jazz, so I had a chance to A/B them.
    The Elite is $1300 more.
    You get- Made in U.S.A., graphite reinforced neck, inlayed blocks, beefier hardware, a passive tone control, HSC. 18V. pre.
    The MIM jazz- Painted on blocks like the Geddy Lee, asian tuners, no passive tone control, traditional truss rod, gig bag. 18V.pre.
    Yes there are other differences, all on the specs page of Fender.com. I was just looking at first impressions.
    Fit and finish- Very comparable, almost identical. Both had very well matched two piece bodies. Well fitted nut.
    Sound- Too close to tell blindfolded. Both were amazing, and as good as any off the shelf jazz I've ever played.
    I'm buying the MIM, but love the elite. The elite will hold it's value better, much better case, and has MIA pride of ownership. It IS a better bass, but only marginally so. 0143512321_gtr_frt_001_rr. 0197002721_gtr_frt_001_rr.

2. Thanks for the comparison.

Seems like to get very close and if you want to upgrade something or somethings, it should run much less than an additional $1300.

I believe in buying on feel, if it feels good, you can upgrade something(rather inexpensively) to get it to sound good. However, if it sounds good but doesn’t feel/play good, there is not much you can do.

Good luck, please post a detail review once you have had the MIM for a bit.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wonder what the actual difference is in production cost. The labor cost is probably the biggest factor. The parts alone probably aren't much more.

Lbsterner likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I bought the American Elite slightly used, still had the stickers on it. I wasn't going to spend the two grand for new, but got lucky to find this one at a great price. It's a fantastic instrument.