Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Test drove a Golf GTI 1.8 Turbo!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, May 3, 2003.

1. For those of you who cares, I test drove a golf GTI 1.8 Turbo like a mad man on hi way and brought it to a race track. It was borrowed to a friend of mine who's daughter's boyfriend's aunt has a VW dealer. They lend it for a few days, and we decided to bring it to a race track.

Man!!!! It was a huge rush man! I was going 170 Km. One thing for sure, my guardian angel was working extra today. :)

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I love golfs.
    Thats the same engine they put in passats(or used to). The golf being so light, it probaly flies:D . same thing with the vr6 jetta.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no doubt your guardian angel was with you if you had the balls to take a stock suspensioned GTI on the track!!! the new vw's have awesome engines but ride like a serta. unless is was a 337/20th anniversary edition gti with the 6 speed.

but that engine has so much torque down low, coming out of corners must have been FUN :)

4. Totally dude! It was great, but indeed the suspension wasn't the greatest, but it was pretty good for a stock setup. Atleast compared to my Hyundai Matrix (MPV). I tell ya, the turbo lag was actually the fun part, i was going like gassing and off the pedal all the time. The rest of the people were either in the verge of puking or in the verge of puking.....:meh:

5. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I object to obscenities like "Volkswagen" being used on this board.

Maybe they aren't that bad, but I will never, ever forgive them for the Beetle. Never. When someone put the design for the Beetle down on paper, children were crying and men were gnashing their teeth. And that PT Cruiser thing that looks like it was inspired by a VW Beetle. I saw one of those--purple no less--with flames and a huge spoiler on the back. The first time I saw something like that I cursed and tried to comprehend, but now I just punch myself in the throat and get the pain over with several times quicker.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really hope you mean 'New Beetle'

the new beetle is 'ok'

the old beetle is one of the coolest cars ever made.

7. Yup, I owned a 1960 ragtop bug. It was great, too bad I had to sell it. Can't stand the winter in Vancouver without a proper heater you know. Imagine having to scrap off ice crystal on your windshield while driving....yes, I mean inside your car!!