Test for spouses/S.O. of bass players.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Mar 4, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    1) How many bass players besides you can he/she name in 15 seconds.

2) Play a few "signature" bass lines and see if he/she can recognize them.

My wife kills the first one, fails the second, which is rather disappointing.

2. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

My wife has become tuned in to bass lines in our 11 years together. They jump out at her, where she was pretty unaware of what the bass player really did before we got together. She knows how a bass can make or break a song, or band. I don't expect her to remember names or even bands she's not really familiar with. I spent years collecting useless band and musician trivia while she was busy raising her kids from her previous marriage. She was doing the more important thing.

It is heartwarming to hear her say often, "I like what the bass is doing" when we listen to music. Her comments on my playing and performance on stage tells me she's really interested and paying attention. What more could I ask for? She's gone way beyond tolerating my music interests.

two fingers and IamGroot like this.
  3. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

She's a keeper :)

IamGroot likes this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    2nd that

oldrocker likes this.
  5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My wife finally fessed up that after one jazz set, she was done and ready to leave. But she was supportive for the many years I played. Now its turnaround, and I chauffeur her around for numerous hobby events in other cities and states.

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    My wife would not only fail both parts of that test, but she'd be savvy enough to say "Hose off, why should I bother taking that stupid test anyway?"
    If she did take the test though, she'd probably respond to question #1 with "there are no other bass players besides you, honey" and she'd respond to question #2 with "I don't know their names but I enjoyed them all." I'm cool with that.

the_home and two fingers like this.
  7. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    My girlfriend knows a lot about music.

When I put my old bass on sale to buy the current one shw bought it and a guitar and is now taking classes. Maybe we'll play together in a band someday.

Baby steps.

8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Awesome

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    My wife can't name any other bass players. However, she was able to figure out more than a dozen songs that I played on the bass.

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, my experience probably won't count as my wife is a musician herself, and has known quite a few other bass players, many notable(and has played/recorded with them), let alone having gone out with a couple before me. Now, in another thread I was accused of 'name dropping' because I merely mentioned a variety of somewhat well-known musicians that I have met/known, but what can I say, I lived and played out in LA, it just goes with the territory. It's just a factual part of my life. So, I can tell you this, she was 'with' the Doobie Brothers' Tiran Porter for a while, back in their heyday, but the cool thing is that we're all friends; before elder care issues distracted the both of us, we'd go up to Santa Cruz on occasion to visit, and the funny thing is he and I would get all bass nerded out while she sat in the corner, bored, not being the biggest music trivia person. So, yes on 1, no(most of the time)on 2.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021