Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Test I just took.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Nov 19, 2002.

1. :( :( :( I just took a test in Chemistry 410 (Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry) and I don't think I have ever been so upset in my entire life.

I know everyone on this board is going to tell me that this test means nothing, blah blah blah....at Cornell it is the only reality you have. THERE IS NO OTHER WORLD. IT IS ONLY COMPETITION. BRUTAL COMPETITION. Some people here purposely try to NOT help you to reduce the mean grade so they get a higher grade. This actually happens frequently, mainly in the pre-med and pre-vet students, who are like a pack of rabid wolves.

Sorry, I'm just b1tching...I want to get into graduate school, and I am really skeptical about my chances now....I just want to do the stuff I want to do, and I don't want to be denied because of some stupid test.

Sorry again. :mad:

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Been there man... :( but hang in there. This isn't a final is it? If I were to count on my fingers the amount of times I screwed up a midterm but recovered on the final, I'd need an extra hand.

I'm not saying that the test means nothing, but keep on pluggin'. :)

Also, IME, if the profs know you and think you'd be good to have on your team as a grad student, they'll find a way to get you in. One bad test or two nonwithstanding.

3. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Hello, Chris.

It is unfortunate that you are feeling so stressed.

I experienced similar pressure when I was at UT. Other UT folks felt similarly, even from different departments. My twin found this a lot at BU law.

I find this same phenomenon occaisionally at work, especially in my previous department.

I think there are a few things you can do:

1. Don't despair. Despair will hurt you. Accept your situation, then do your best.

2. Eat good food.
    You may not be able to sleep much, but be good to yourself and eat well. This will help combat stress.

3. Avoid the b-st-rds if you can.
    They are depressing and probably won't offer much help, and in many cases, they may be misleading.

4. Read Epictetus
    The founder of Stoicism. The Roman handbook, available in its entirety (it's short) at:
    http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

5. Pray
    I pray to God to help avoid despair and maintain a good attitude. I am not religious, but it helps.

Don't despair. Hang in there. It will get better.

Take care.

RS

4. Thanks for the help guys.

5. just try and think about 15 years from now... will you remember this?

Most of the folks I work with went into another field. I've met a lot of programmers w/psychology degrees.

Don't get caught up in the hoopla that is so prevalent in Corporate America, it's all bull-you know what. All these people care about is having a nice house and driving a BMW and/or Lexus.

Is that what life is about???

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The only nightmares I have now are the ones where I'm totally unprepared for the final exam!