Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Test My Notation/Tab (Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy) GIANT & PRINTABLE!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by agreatheight, Feb 25, 2006.

1. I have been slowing trying to get myself into the habit of transcribing all songs I teach my bass students in standard notation as well as tab, whether they want it or not, lol. So I am gonna start posting maybe one or two a week here for you guys to check out - hopefully some of you all can check my transcriptions for errors (I have a pretty good ear, but it's not perfect and my notation skills are mediocre at best).

The pics are exported out of Finale - they are huge, but printable! 8.5x11, 300dpi. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    hey, try reducing the size by 50% in photobucket.

3. I could have reduced them in Photoshop but then they would print as well. I posted 8.5 x 11. 300 dpi so people could print them - if no one is interested in a printable version I will reduce the size...

4. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    I LOOOOOOOVE you so much for not tabbing it and actually notated it.

Thanks!!!!!!

5. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Hi,

I don't know this tune so I am going to have to try to find it and listen to it with your transcription, but the way you have notated some of it makes it really difficult to know instinctively where the beat is. It is often better to notate syncopations in a way that still reveals the underlying count.

Also, it is not always necessary to indicate such short rests when they are really (I am assuming) just articulations. That is why there are things like dots over notes to indicate short, etc.

Don't know if that is what you are looking for, but I would have a hard time sight reading that even though it does not appear very hard, just because of the rhythmic issue.

6. That's exactly the kind of help I am looking for. Anyone else? I will listen to all critisms and repost the notation after I correct / augment it.

Thanks!

7. pretty much exactly what i was going to say.. the way that the rhythms are notated makes it very difficult to read.
    Using finale or sibelius can actually make this problem worse IME.

i personally think it's better to transcribe by hand.. to me, getting a neat scoring hand is important. also, you can group those subdivisions so they are a lot easier for the eye to follow - something that computer programs aren't necessarily always good at.

anyway, congratulations on taking the plunge!

andy.

8. Thanks to everyone for the encoragement; I have wanted to get better at notating but honestly it's not really called for in my day to day playing or teaching (sad). I figured I'd just do it anyway! OK, I re-transcribed the song and reposted it above with the rests removed and dotted articulations inserted. I agree - I think it reads much easier this way. Any other suggestions / comments!

9. hi mate.

the way the note rhythms are grouped still makes it rather hard to read at first pass.. if i get a chance tonight i'll post an example of how i'd write some of your phrases to make them a little easier on the eyes.

10. Thanks - I would appreciate any help!

11. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    well, the GIF image is 2550x3300 and when i printed it off, it got scaled down to 25%. but that's a minor nit.

my wife likes fallout boy, so i'll download this song from itunes and check out your transcription. thanks!

12. Thanks! I appreciate it.

BTW, 2550 x 3300 is 300dpi at 8.5 x 11 (8.5*300=2500 & 11*300=3300). Depending on how you print the document you may have shrink to fit, but it'll work out perfectly nd print crisp and clean.

13. I'll give it a test run. Not a big fan of FOB myself, but this os almost what I've been looking for. Something this tab and notation, just incase my sight reading skills can't figure out the note. My sister really digs them so she might like it.:hyper: