Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Aug 22, 2001.

1. OK, I want you fellows to engage in a little test I made up. People are always saying how they hate pick sound compared to fingers or whatever, or how radically different the two sounds are.

Below are recordings I made, same line, one pick, one finger style. I want you to tell me which is which.

The pick version was recorded with a Dunlop Tortex .88, and the same setting on my amp and bass were used for each file.

And yes, you will be ridiculed if you get this wrong;)

File 1

File 2
  2. Theres not that much difference between those two recordings at all, but no.1 sounds like its using a pick to me, no.2 sounds deeper, so I think its fingerstyle.
  3. I'd say 1 is pick, *Slightly* harder attack. Very close though. I use amp/bass/other settings that really make a difference between Pick/finger/slap. I will usually use 1mm or bigger picks...whenever I do...which is rarely.
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I have to agree with you guys, #1 is more "pick-style" than #2 because the "*Slightly* harder attack", as Tuf said.....
  5. I tried to pluck the notes with the same force on both, as to eliminate any compensation I automatically apply to get tones...I'm trying to isolate the exact differences between the finger and pick tone.

BTW, if any of you want to comment on the overall tone of the recordings, feel free. I'm quite happy with that tone, but it doesn't work in a band setting - too few mids.
  6. PanteraFan, I like the tone, its a good tone for practicing by yourself or doing a solo.
  7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I agree with the others, but they both sound really close.

BTW I started singing "Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooke on the waaater, fire in the sky" :D
  8. I think this thread has run its course...and the results are...

File 1 is played with a pick.

File 2 is played fingerstyle.

Congratulations to all who participated! You win a lifetime supply of PanteraFan's Imaginary Moonshine, endorsed by the folks in Pantera!

I'd also like to think that I proved that there isn't that much of a radical difference in tone between pick and fingers, or at least in my playing. Maybe this is one of those things that'll become one of my trademarks...in years to come, when there's an 'Ask PanteraFan' forum on TB, there'll be threads saying 'How do you get your pick sounding so similar to fingerstyle?' :D
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Now if only one of them made you play in time! :D:D:D
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

11. I don't see no stinking drummer in my room! I'll play to my own goddamn time!