Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Test Your Musical Talent

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 9, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm not affiliated with this outfit nor do I know anyone there. I just thought their little test of one's ability to detect pitch was interesting and not ridiculously easy. (BTW, it loads quickly from their site...at least, for me. Just click the "Start Ear Test") www.earpower.com/etest.htm

The question being - Do you think a good ear only stays that way through practice, like grabbing lines from recorded music?

2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    So you can verify what your MQ is?

I think your ears can get lazy when you don't figure out stuff anymore...but it's more that you're running out of patience.

3. rickbass

Niels- It gives Hz acuteness correlations for the "soft" scores, (e.g., "Excellent/Very Good/(etc)")). Didn't you notice it?

I was wondering about the "lazy" factor you mentioned. I have to cop lines from music I hear all the time since I play clubs most often. Often, I set aside a certain amount of time to learn something that I think will be too difficult to learn quickly with my phrase trainer. Then I find I have almost all the allotted time left over because everything just fell into place. (Not bragging by any means; 20+ years ago, I often found my lines weren't very true to the originals sometimes).

4. I do think a good ear requires constant maintenance. I know since I've started playing fretless again hearing pitch and intonation have become a lot more acute for me.

I played fretless exclusively during the mid-nineties but ended up joining a band where I did a lot of lead vocals and found playing fretless and singing to be too demanding so I switched back to fretted. I joined another band not too long ago where I didn't sing nearly as much so I decided to buy a fretless to add to my arsenal. I've been using it almost exclusively but the hearing part was almost like starting over.

Also, when I first started playing bass (and guitar) I spent a lot of time learning songs from recordings. Anytime I got away from doing that I would go through a short interval where I felt like I was 'tuning my ear' up.

A good ear is something you definitely have to maintain.

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    What can I say... apparently, I'm excellent ! :)

6. according to that test I'm excellent too!:)

is there a similar test for intervals anywhere?

I think a musical ear is memory related so it has to be maintained.

I find I can quite often tell what key a song on the radio is in from the bass, although that's also sometimes due to the tone differences - when the player crosses between the E and A strings etc.

who knows, maybe I'll develop perfect pitch one day, and start grinning Cheshire Cat-style like those guys in the perfect pitch course ads in BP:D

7. that was easy... :)

but a cool program... :)

8. rickbass

Mock - That would be cool. And "Name That Octave"

I could also use, "I said, HOW BAD IS YOUR TINNINITUS?"

9. Originally posted by The Mock Turtle Regulator
    "according to that test I'm excellent too!:)
    is there a similar test for intervals anywhere?"

Hi there Mock and Rick

You should have a look at:http://www.activebass.com/

If you scroll down the front page looking at the columns on the right you'll find a section called "hot Tools".

Go in there and they have a couple of ear-training exercises in a bit called 'The Ear Training Machine' - it starts you off with a C tone and then plays a second tone - you have to work out what the 2nd tone is.

By the way - is this 'solfege' or if not what is 'solfege'?

Enjoy

Dean

10. :D thanks.

11. I got excellent :)

12. rickbass

I see you have/had a teacher, too. Perhaps, you had exposure when you were young, as I did.

I read an article about a study by some pediatrics organization which concluded that the older we get without involvement in music, the more tone deaf we become. It said we are born with perfect pitch, because it is a survival mechanism that enables us to learn speech and it's dynamics. But as we grow older, this natural skill or "instinct" naturally deteriorates because it no longer is needed for survival, unless one is involved in music or something else where tone/pitch is valuable.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn it I only got very good, I'm quitting music for ever and burning all my gear and cd's!!! just kidding. That was kind of cool.

14. rickbass

Bliss - Yes, even "astronauts" need an ear. ;)

15. nice! after a few tries, I became excellent! :D I'm amazed! Mainly because I've been awake for the past 27 hours :) hehehe

16. Well i got an "average", but then again it looked dodgy and i didn't really try. You ever tried that test when people are in the room talking?

Makes it hard

Merls

..either that or i am tone deaf like a old woman

17. Here is a really good one: http://www.synchron.de/EARTRAINER/
    It has intervals, and chords. It will play a random interval or chord and you have to guess what it is. Has different difficulty levels you can choose. You have to sign up with a username and password, but it's free and only takes a minute. (also, requires windows media player)