Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tested my SVT-4 w/ SVT 810 at practice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Mar 12, 2004.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Well the sound quality is killer with this combo. I have yet to fiddle with all the settings. But I am disappointed with the power. I'm running mono bridged (full 1200 watts) and yet my volume is turned all the way up on my bass, 3/4 on the gain and 3/4 on the master. I mean it is sort of loud, but not as loud as I expected? At these levels you would expect the cab to be distorting, but it's not. It's just the fact it hasn't gotten loud enough to distort the cabs. Is there something i'm doing wrong or is this normal for an SVT-4?

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Are you in a large or small room? I find that I need to be in a large enough room before the bass really shows its true volume. I am running an SVT3 Pro thru a PR410 cab. Even my combo shows a remarkable difference in a larger room.

3. Well, when I had an SVT-4PRO, I never had problems w/ volume. I was using two Avatar B210 cabs and running it bridged mono into the resulting 4 ohm load. Maybe you should take a look at your EQ settings? I always left the graphic off, boosted teh bass a little, had my mids up around 2-3 o'clock, and the selector switch on the first setting (or second...can't remember). You also might look at the pickup/EQ settings on your bass. You don't want to do excessive bass boosting...it will make it very different to cut through the mix. If you have a jazz style pickup config, try running the bridge pickup wide open, and back off a bit on the neck pickup - I found that it makes the jazz cut through MUCH better. Hope this helps!

4. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Thank you both. I practice in a small room, but will play a gig tomorrow in a bigger area, we'll see how that goes.

Woofenstein, I'll try messing around with the levels a bit more to see what I can come up with. The boost on my Modulus can be overkill, so it's never even half way. I actually had a louder sound when I used the EQ on the SVT-4 but i'll still have to try different combinations. Thanks again!

5. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey GrandMarkie

Make sure you have the bridge button pushed "in" on the back of the amp, and that your Speakon cable is configured "+1" tip, and "+2" sleeve. I've used SVT-4 Pro's for about 7 years now and that 810 should jump off the ground. I think you must have something set up incorrectly.

6. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Ncognito, the button is pushed in to the mono setting and i'm using the Speakon cable that came with the amp... Maybe my sense of "loud" is different from other people's perceptions...

When I was testing this setup at G-center, the salesperson was like "damn, that's loud" while i'm thinking to myself "damn, I hope that's not even close to as loud as that gets..."

:meh:

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, when I run 2 410's under mine, it is LOUD. I have never had a problem with volume when I have needed it. And I have played a few shows (large outdoor venues on huge stages) where I have needed some serious volume.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, the mono bridge cable is set up 1+/2+, as are virtually all others.

That is the cable we ship with the unit.

Make sure that:

The -15dB pad is "off"

The Graphic level control is at least at zero if not higher, or else that the graphic is turned off

The compression control is down all the way

Are you getting the input peak light to flash pretty often? If not then you probably have the pad turned on. Or else your bass is really weak on output.

That unit is rated at the electrical equivalent of 1 2/3 horsepower.....It should be *very* loud.............

9. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    The pad is off, graphic level is ALL the way up, and compression is half way...i'll turn it down all the way.

The input peak light flashes quite often.

I dunno, is it normal to not have my svt-810 get distorted at these levels? I believe it is rated at 800 watts RMS and my head is at 1200. You would think the cab would be overpowered. I'll be trying all of your suggestions tomorrow before my gig.

I still think my perception of loud is much different compared to everyone else...

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I mono bridge into a 4x10 cab at smaller venues and have not had any troubles with overpowering it.

11. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've used an 810 and a 200T (350 watt solid state) for years on a jam night in a warehouse. I've never had any problems with volume. Are you sure all of the speakers are working?

12. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If thats the case and its cranked 3/4 of the way up your perception of deaf won't be different for long :p . With that head through an 8x10, the last thing you should be missing is volume.

I'd take it to a tech after this gig you have coming up just for a random check up and if the tech can't find anything wrong with it, chalk it up to prevenitive maintenance.

13. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey GrandMarkie

I have 2 Ampeg SVT-4 Pro's and neither one came with a speaker cable. Maybe SLM is now shipping one with the head. Either way, make SURE that the cable is wired +1/+2. This is NOT a typical Speakon set-up. About 95% of the Speakon cables are configured +1/-1. 5% or less are wired the way you NEED it. The SVT-4 Pro will work with +1/-1, but it will be less than half of the ouput volume. Double check your Speakon cable, don't assume it's put together correct! I have 2 Eden 410xlt's, and that combination will knock anyone off the stage with volume. Trust me, I know what loud is.

Good luck.

Nick
    www.theincognitos.com

14. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    How far away were you?

The 810 seems to be softer close than it is about 8 feet out. Out there it will move you, in close it isn't as punchy. You aren't hearing all the speakers in phase when you are in close.

15. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    It was in a tight room, so maybe this can account for my "problem". We'll see tomorrow night :D