Tested out some great cabs... Accugroove, Bergantino, Acme, Glockenklang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Oct 2, 2003.

1. I went into Guitar X in Denver today. They have a great selection of cabs there. There were Bergantino, Accugroove, Acme, EBS, Genz Benz, Glockenklang and SWR. I tried out the Accugroove, Acme, Bergantino and Glockenklang cabs, all through a Glockenklang Soul top that they had just received.

Accugroove: There was a Tri 112 and an El Whappo in the store. I tried them both and I have to say that I was most impressed with the Tri 112. The Whappo is a gargantuan cabinet and is definitely a smooth sounding rig. Perhaps it needs to be driven harder to sound its best. The Tri-112 what seemed to be a more midrange centered sound. I really like the 112. It with the Soul Top sounding like one deadly setup, on that I wouldn't mind having.

Bergantino: I think that the whole line of Bergantino cabs was represented. There was the 322, the 112, 210, 610, 115 and maybe that was it. I was really impressed with these cab. The 322 actually sounded deeper than the El Whappo, though it was apparent that the El Whappo was flatter than this cab. I personally prefered the high end of the Accugrooves to the Bergs. Overall they were great cabs.

Glockenklang: I was able to try out a Double 2x12. The cab sounded a bit mellower than the Accugroove, it somewhat sounded like the sound was coming from behind the cabinet or something, it was quite weird. It was a pretty nice cabinet, good frequency response, not as deep as the other cabs I tried, but the high end was really good.

Acme: I was totally blown away with these cabinets (I tried the Low B4, but there was a low B2 as well). These were the deepest sounding cabinets of the bunch. The Bergs were probably close, but the Acme sounded tighter to me. Totally flat sounding too. I really can't say enough good things about how these sounded to me. I was amazed at the price too. Wow! I am probably going to have to hook up with with a couple of the Low B2s sometime in the near future.

Overall I had a great time. A great set of cabs. I make some comments about how I thought certain cabs were better than others in some respects, but I know that I would be more than happy with the sound that came out of any of these cabs, these really are the cream of the crop and it was quite apparent being able to try them out. Gary Rosen, the owner of Guitar X, is a really friendly and just a great guy. Let me try out all the gear. Todd Reith of Reith guitars was in there too and kept telling me to turn up the volume. It was a great time.

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'm having a great deal of trouble containing my jealousy. I hate you. ;) :D
  3. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    The El Whappo is a very power hungry cabinet. I love mine to death. They're not for everyone though.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Agreed ;)

sounds like a painfully gas filled day Geoff... I'm envious
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks for the reviews, Geoff. Sounds like a good time was had by all.
  6. Geoff, what did you think of the Berg 610?
    I'm pretty impressed with mine. Sounds like you may prefer the "high fi", sound the most.
  7. Big String,
    I do prefer the hi-fi sound. That said, the NV610 was massively fat sounding, deep and fat. I can really see how people would love that sound. In fact, it really was a great sound and in a rock band I would love it. I do a fair amount of solo stuff and some tapping and slapping and I like the more extensive treble response that the more hi-fi cabs give. I was mightily impressed by all the Bergantinos, I was blown away with the low end they put out, I really wasn't expecting it. But I've got to get some Acmes, those things are ridiculous (IMO).

8. On further thinking, I think that the Accugroove El Whappo needed to be driven louder than I demoed it at for it to have sounded how it should. I really liked the Tri 112, and I assume that the El Whappo would probably perform similarly if I had been driving it proportionally as hard.

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, Geoff!!!

mightly impressed and both jealous. ;) great review, and keep 'em coming!

10. Yeah, I really had a great time. I think when I go back to pick up my Dingwall I am going to test them out all over again with my Dingwall. That will be the real test, with my own bass. I will probably check out the Low B2 and I'll try cranking the El Whappo to see what it can do. There was a Demeter/Stewart World 2.1 rig there that I wouldn't mind checking out too. I'll look into the EBS stuff too. It looked really good. They had a 410, 212 and an HD650.

I can't wait.

11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aye, me too, indeed!
    Thanks especially for the A-B Accugrove Tri 112 vs. Acme. Most valuable to me, personally.:)
  12. Thanks Geoff, yes excellent and helpful review.
    Yep my NV610 is just killer either with my Mesa 400+ or the usual Demeter201s and Plx2402 rig.

Also, check out two Berg 112's. too. That is my usual gigging rig. The Berg HT/EX 112 with the Dem/2402. Punchie, High fi, articulate, just plain killer.(especially on Aualex Gramma). I don't know if it will compete with the Acme's you like, but it's worth a test drive. I never have tried Acme's an should some day. I'm more a blues/rock/Rb fingerstyle so my Bergs are perfect for my needs. Thanks again for a very imformative post. Take your time picking, that advise was just given to me for other gear recently. Thanks Joker, your are correct Sir!
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey Geoff! That Acme B4 was mine!!! I traded it in for a Berg 210.

Gary at GuitarX is awesome to deal with. He put up with me bringing in my amp and my basses (upright too) and I played on the cabs for some time. Definitely a great place to shop for gear!
  14. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would love to try all those out!! Most stores never have them!
  15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have a serious case of GAS and after selling some of my gear have a little extra $$ to play with.

Sadly I still have yet to go to Guitar X, and I live in the Denver metro area. I think I might have to pay a visit tomorrow. I am really interested in trying the Berg 322 and the Acme cabs.
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Farley... I just traded in my Acme B4 at GuitarX. Its brand spankin new Ill tell you that much. This store is a MUST without a doubt! The Bergs were my favorite and the last time I was there I left with the 210. Bass gear heaven.... :bassist:
  17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

I'm sorry I missed you. :( I couldn't get away from the J-O-B in time. Maybe on the next trip? BTW, what were you're impressions of the Prima that Gary had in comparison to yours?
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've been trying to get Gary to hire me as the night watchman. No luck thus far. :D ;)
  19. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Gary has a great shop and he's a really good guy to deal with.

What's up Bozz? How ya been?
  20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Geoff,

Awesome Review! Thank You. I'm curious what you thought of the Glockenklang Soul head? I played through one with a Bergie HT322 at Bass Alone in San Diego this summer and was very impressed with it's definition and neutrality. IT was dramtaically a different sound than my Bergie HT322 and my Ashdown ABM500 EV) head. Since, like Big string, I'm playing mostly fingerstyle Blues/Rock/R&B and some funk, that head brings a bit of warmth to my sound. I'm very very interested however in building a more sonically accurate Pre/Power front end.

What is the speaker configuration for the ACME B2 or B4? Think you'd choose a couple of B2's insread of a B4?

Lastly, What bass did you use for your comparisons? Thanks!