testin testing testing... strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by soundofphysics, Aug 31, 2000.

1. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    one thing that i think discourages people from string experimentation is the fact that unlike a bass or an amp or even a strap or cable- you can't try really try out strings in the store :::::hey buddy yeah i'm looking at this fender jazz here and i was wondering if you could lemme try a couple different sets of strings on it:::::: and bass strings, especially the high end ones can be a dent on the pocket, a newer bass player may be encouraged to just disregard strings as a moot point, especially when your average music store is willing throw 95 thousand packs of Dean Markley's at you for free ::::shivers:::::.

i mean i don't really see any solution to this problem, i'm just throwing my .ooo7 cents in.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may be that for the last 20 years, I have always been in a regular job as well as playing bass, but I have always seen strings as very cheap and paying out the equivalent of a few pints of beer every so often hasn't been a problem. So I have tended to take the view that I will buy the most expensive I can get my hands on. Before the internet, the choice was very limited anyway and I would just try all the UK shops and buy the highest priced sets I could find. This approach tended to work and I have never had many problems with strings. This was why I initially tried D'Addario SlowWounds, but now I can get them off the internet at about half the price I was paying, I may try to go upmarket again!

But seriously, I think that strings are very cheap compared with the other things you have to shell out for, to be a bass player - like a car for a start or how else are you going to get to gigs with a reasonable bass amp? I have also found that the more expensive the strings are, the longer they last, so in fact, I would always say, go for the most expensive you can afford and you will probably save money in the long run anyway. But then if I was looking to save money I would probably would have chosen another instrument anyway! ;)
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My strings cost about the same I'd pay for a 2 CD set - that's ok 'cos I use my strings for up to 12 month ( I regulary clean them with a solvent) of course new strings are a must if recording or performing.

Violin or double bass strings are much more costly - So I guess we're quite lucky....
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Whilst I agree that strings are not the most expensive thing to purchase, I tend to stick to brands. I used Rotosounds exclusively for 7 years and hade to use Elites in 88 when I bought a headless Status. I went back to Rotosounds in 97 and use Elites if I cannot get Roto's.

Personally strings are like straps and stands a neccesary evil and once I like a brand I rarely change. However if any String Company wants to sponsor me .... :)