1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing a used cabinet before buying

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdmmusic, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jdmmusic

jdmmusic

Dec 8, 2006
    I've been in the market for a used Ampeg 410HLF and just found one on Craigslist. The seller has mentioned that it's only a year old and in perfect working order.

Other than plugging it in and sticking my ear against each speaker to see if it's working (including the horn) I'm not certain what else I should do to make sure that it's in good shape.

Anything I should do to put it through it's paces?

2. Just look at the speakers, look for creases and tears.

If they look ok, and sound ok. Then you're probably alright :)

3. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    Well, hopefully you can crank it to make sure there's no issues there. I think you're pretty much on the right track. Wouldn't hurt to pull the grill and get a good look at the speakers to make sure there is no damage.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Good advice already. I also try playing a very loud harmonic E. (4th string-12th fret)
    Its no definitive test, but it sure isn't a bad sign If it rings out nice and clear.

5. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I don't know if that cab has a tweeter or not but make sure if it does to test the tweeter level. I once bought a cab and didn't test the tweeter level. I later found out that the tweet was blown.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, crank it up and listen for anything that doesn't sound right. Look very closely and carefully at the cones, especially where they attach to the surround, look for signs of wear/separation at the seam all the way around each cone. Anything that doesn't look smooth could be a sign of a former repair. Also take the grill off and GENTLY push each speaker in and out and listen for scraping or rubbing sounds.

Also it's a good idea to have the guy demo it for you in addition to you playing it yourself. Look at the guys amp settings, if they're using a lot of bass boost or something, could give you and insight as to how the cabs been played/treated.