1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Lexington, KY
    After years of using a TLC to keep a filter twin in line, I want to change things up. I got a micro Tron and with its volume control and sound I don’t feel the need for a comp after it. I’ve always wanted a diamond and I decided to do a little recent research. Now I’m stuck down this rabbit hole of a thread. Is the diamond really not that good with active basses as some have commented? Also intrigued by the Union, Doc, and DG HL now.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Love the idea but for $22 it's hard to pass up a few more controls on a comp. that already looks reasonably easy to use
    Home

HelpImaRock and MascisMan like this.
  3. Ricardo Rodriguez

Ricardo Rodriguez

Sep 8, 2015
    Scuba posted this photo in another thread which prompted my response. So now I am confused. 61E81EB0-75C4-4B8D-AF8F-46AB7364464F.

bassgus and cosmicevan like this.
  4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    @Ricardo Rodriguez What is confusing? In that picture is my Effectrode PC-2A which I reviewed here.

This week I received an Effectrode LA-1A which I will be reviewing soon.

5. Ricardo Rodriguez

Ricardo Rodriguez

Sep 8, 2015
    When I saw that photo I thought that was the new Effectrode you were waiting on.

scubaduba likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you get the new Diamond Comp Jr. you shouldn't have any problems with active basses. I got one a few weeks ago, no problems with any of my Roscoe, Spector, Carvin, or Lakland basses. If you are looking for fat, greasy funk, the Diamond delivers that. I'd now be curious as to what other compressors have a similar sound just for kicks. I've got a list of about 10 compressors I've had in the past year that I guess are in the more 'transparent' category and don't have the stank that the Diamond has.

I'm not 100% convinced the Diamond is the one or me yet, but it's close. I'm a Keeley Bassist fan, and the Diamond is the first compressor I've had that made me sell one of my Bassists.

You mentioned the Darkglass HL...great compressor that does a lot more than the Diamond does, but does not sound like the Diamond. It does its own thing. I found myself endlessly twiddling knobs and adjusting the software on it.

Also mentioned the Doc Lloyd. I've heard it sounds like the Diamond but I didn't hear anything near that.

7. jrgr115

jrgr115

Aug 21, 2018
    I finally sold off my empress comp and eyeing a cali76 compact bass as a replacement based on this thread - time to add a bit more color to my compression. If worst comes to the worst and it doesn't do it for me, I have about 50 other options I'd try based on this thread. Thanks @scubaduba !

8. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    OnkartGrompt has a new version of the Grompressor and I've got one on the way. Should ship out Monday coming from Norway. :)

I'm looking forward to this one too.

9. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Finally made it to the party....

20190614_235814.

10. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Low Down Brown likes this.
  11. Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Yes indeed! It's like they stuffed a size 15 foot into a size 7 shoe...there's just too much kick ass packed into such a tiny space. That tape saturation is as right-on as I hoped it would be...and that's just a little bit of the icing on that cake. The best comparison I can come up with is that it's like the Pulp n' Peel except with a lot more control over more parameters. It can be transparent but it also has some serious punch when you dial it up. It was well worth the wait.

extreme, Ian McLaughlin and kasbrey like this.
  12. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    So. Many. Knobs!

cosmicevan and Low Down Brown like this.
  13. Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    And switches. Don't forget the switches... :D

cosmicevan and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  14. pauliebass

Jul 9, 2008
    Lexington, KY
    Am I missing something? Why would anyone buy the big version of the Diamond for more money if the Jr. is supposed to be the same?

blindrabbit and deepestend like this.
  15. pauliebass

Jul 9, 2008
    Lexington, KY
    blindrabbit likes this.
  16. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    My board this morning. Effectrode LA-1a lit up.

4E8EA424-3B92-468D-BAA8-1ED9C3FF405C.

17. Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    That's a lot of tubey goodness....

Can't wait to hear about that Effectrode.

18. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Tubey goodness is right. I think between the Shift-Line and the Effectrode my CIOKS DC7 is being taxed but handling the load like a champ.

Btbp, extreme, blindrabbit and 3 others like this.
  19. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Looking forward to reading your review of the LA-1a.

Low Down Brown likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Would have to be something extraordinarily good to justify that much real estate. I’d be happier seeing it in a rack. Especially since it has exposed tubes. :laugh:

Can’t wait to hear the verdict.