Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    and... here's my 'custom' Becos mini, with -20 to +20 Gain control. Will get a chance to try it out this weekend.
    Becos mini pic.jpg

DrMole, berman3313, 600 Ohms and 8 others like this.
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Thanks for your patience on the JoeMeek FloorQ. Results are in!

Here's my full review: https://www.compressorpedalreviews.com/post/joemeek-floorq-compressor-review

Cliff's Notes version:
    In many ways FloorQ reminds me of a cross between compressors like the Markbass Compressore or Effectrode PC-2A and then compressors that are more open and airy like the Smoothie or Becos pedals. Everything I played through the FloorQ came out bigger and smoother. It has a very refined sound and feel, yet not sterile in any way. Very pleasing.

It would not be my first choice as a limiter but as a subtle to moderate compression device it excels. You really should read the whole review but this is a compressor I'd include in my top 10.

IMG_2228.jpg

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Nice review. You didn't mention one of the awesome features of the FloorQ though - it accepts 9-24v in both AC *and* DC power, so it can be powered by practically any power supply you have on hand!

Low Down Brown and bradtv like this.
  4. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    @superheavyfunk Good catch. Thanks. I’ve updated.

You are right, pretty nice feature.

5. TwototheValley

TwototheValley Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Pretty quiet in here of late....does this mean there's some intense reviewing go on?

Forgive my impatience....this is my favorite thread!

6. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    It just means I haven't been buying/flipping compressors in a bit. Don't worry. I just got an EBS Multicomp yesterday, so I'll likely have some thoughts later, which I will no doubt update and change in a week.

jdc866 and kesslari like this.
  7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    bdplaid and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    scubaduba and TwototheValley like this.
  9. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    If it makes you feel any better, here's a quick update on the EBS Multicomp form my initial jams last night:
    I played it with my Lakland passive jazz, and it sounded fantastic. But my Yamaha BB1025x makes it fart out a little. Super annoying. But that bass, even though it's passive, tends to make pedals fart out. I don't know what it is. it's hot for a passive bass. If I push in the "active" button on the EBS, then the gain is too low and it's barely triggering the compression at all. I read a 10yr old-or-so thread last night indicating that if you turn down the trim knobs, thereby raising the threshold, the distortion goes away. Update: That's true. Gonna spend some more time getting it dialed in just right tonight. So far it's a really great sounding compressor. Adds lots of punch to my sound. The tubesim mode sounds fat, and the multi-band mode is modern and smooth. Two thumbs up.

10. Took delivery of a Hyper Luminal on Monday. Am liking what I am hearing so far. The side chain setting in the Darkglass Suite is definitely a super useful option. I had a Seymour Duncan Compressor before that, which I also like. Might see how I can work both into the board setup.

DrMole, Fuzzbass and Zoobiedood like this.
  11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    OK. Well then you will be pleased to know that the next pedal up for review is the RT Electronix Broadband Compressor.

The Yellowsquash Iron Fist arrived and I believe the Mozztronics OP-2 compressor is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I also recently acquired a Cali76 TX big box... so that will be in the mix too.

DrMole, Slaymus, Fuzzbass and 3 others like this.
  12. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I’m super excited to read about the Mozztronics

Low Down Brown likes this.
  13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Me too! Oh.... wait.

jdc866, TwototheValley and Dee-man like this.
  14. TwototheValley

TwototheValley Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Count me in as well.....Andrew makes good stuff, and as "one of us" I'm intrigued to hear about his take on a pedal which is a bit of an obsession for many bass-players....

...although I'm beginning to feel an ache in my wallet again...:rolleyes:

scubaduba likes this.
  15. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
  16. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Anybody have a Cali76 CB they could spare for a while? I have a Cali76 TX big box on hand and I think it would be incredibly useful to have a side-by-side comparison of the two.

DrMole, Fuzzbass, imabuddha and 2 others like this.
  17. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I can send one your way.

18. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    LA County
    I am also able, if you would like to keep yours for use. In any case, I'm extremely interested in a comparison, there are tons for guitar and none for bass save for @bongomania 's take and a demo would be good if possible... Otherwise your words are enough @scubaduba , haha!

geolikezik and Low Down Brown like this.
  19. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Well, I’ve only had my EBS Multicomp for a couple of days, but thanks to the magic of Reverb, I now also have a Mad Professor Forest Green on the way. I have a problem. Curse you, compressor thread. I could have remained blissfully unaware of all of the great options out there and been happy with my - now considered to be - mediocre Spectracomp. But NOOOOO.

imabuddha, Tom Bomb, kesslari and 5 others like this.