1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    @FunkHead Where do you have the Mix knob set?

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    3 o clock

3. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    At that setting, you are running mostly with the effected signal. Hmm... try blending in more of your dry signal by adjusting the Mix knob to around 11:00 and see what you think. You could also try a different Threshold setting. Everyone's definition of "punchy" is different. Are you running at 9 volts or 18 volts? I prefer running it at 9 volts which surprised me. Run at 9 volts and see if that "tames" things a bit.

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just got my notice from FEA. DE-CL incoming!

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks, I’ll mess around some more with settings. I’m running @ 9volts.
    This pedal is a keeper. All 3 of my Rics have very strong E strings. Especially the bridge pups.
    The one with TI flats is the punchiest. Almost like a kick drum

scubaduba likes this.
  6. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nice! That is definitely one I’d like to try.

7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Here’s a pic of the inside of the PWNZOR. Notice the two blue knobs and the slider switch.

The topmost blue dial on the left adjusts the input gain. Clockwise is hotter, counterclockwise would be more attenuated. I guess that could be helpful if you had a very high output instrument. Turning it all the way clockwise and the input is very hot. Don’t know why you’d ever need it that hot.

The lower blue knob adjusts the release timing of the compressor. Turning clockwise slows the release time providing more sustain. I didn’t really care for how the compressor feels at slower release times (rotating much more clockwise) because I felt like I was losing too much articulation. But the control is there if you want it. I’d prefer the release control to be on the exterior.

The slide switch on the right allows you to switch the bypass to buffered or true bypass.

All in all, a sweet compressor.

137290E5-F6C0-400B-A67F-C1E8354CCD7E.jpeg

Jason Hollar and Marikk like this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm jealous
    How long did you wait?
    Looking forward to the review.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Honestly I have no idea at this point. It’s been a while. I’ve owned them before. It took me getting rid of it and getting a bunch of other compressors to realize how much I like it LOL.

Jim C likes this.
  10. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    x2, incoming DE-CL!

scubaduba and willsellout like this.
  11. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I have a box returning to me in the mail from Keeley today. My Compressor Pro has been converted into a Compressor/GC-2 Pro. I have a gig tonight and tomorrow night so I'll post up my impressions this weekend.

Jim C, Antman3820 and kesslari like this.
  12. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Any details on the conversion?

13. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    If you read through the thread you see mention of the differences between the Keeley Bassist and GC-2. What it boils down to is that the Bassist compresses more in the bottom end than the GC-2, also stated as the GC-2 is less sensitive down low. The Compressor Pro is the same as the bassist but with added controls.

In my use I have found that there are settings that I like that sound great on the upper strings but when I start to dig in down low it compresses more than I want. I asked them about this and they suggested that I might like the GC-2 more, at which point I suggested changing the Pro to have the sensitivity of the GC-2, and they agreed.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  14. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Thanks. I have the Bassist and The Pro. I have also heard about the
    GC-2 not compressing the Low End. I think it was in the Ovnilab compressor reviews. Best of both worlds.

15. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    The package has arrived. They removed the cap that controls that part and put in a socket. They provided me with three different caps to try. I'm really looking forward to the gig tonight since I don't have an amp set up here at the house right now to try this thing.

16. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I would like to try the same thing with my Pro.

17. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    This arrived. JHS Pulp ‘N’ Peel.

7A994171-7DFC-4316-BB7E-97F0DA967914.jpeg

sonofshel likes this.
  18. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The one I’ve been waiting for...would be nice for those gigs where I don’t want to bring the pedalboard and can just throw this and a tuner in a bag with a 9v supply. Can’t wait for the comparisons and commentary

wmmj likes this.
  19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I played through it only briefly last night. Haven't had enough time with it yet to leave any commentary.

sonofshel likes this.
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just checking because the thread is so long: The Keeley Bassist can run on a 9V battery. Any issues with running it this way? I seem to remember something about this from this thread but can't find it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021