1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nice! Really different sort of compressor IMO. One of the few I ever played through where I found myself maybe liking it even more on its more extreme settings. This is one of those compressors that could definitely be used as an effect if you wanted to. How cool is that?

The one I tried really seemed to love humbuckers. And if you double on guitar, be aware that the Horizon seems to really come alive whenever it hears P90 pups. My Yamaha RevStar 502 and the Horizon was a match made in heaven. AFAIC.

Great comp. I’m kicking myself for not buying the one I tried. Fortunately they’re still making them, and the price is very reasonable for such an interesting optical comp. I’ll definitely have to put that one on my to-buy list.

Congratulations on your scoring one! :thumbsup:

odarellmc and kesslari like this.
  2. odarellmc

odarellmc Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    News flash they're not making them anymore, I think there may be another on reverb. Emailed goldstarfx myself and was told they are no longer in production. But yes a very interesting compressor I'm liking it the more I play with it...

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Figures. I'm often late to the party for a lot of things. Just had to go through gyrations recently to score a VFE Pinball pedal I had been dawdling about getting for too long. Guess they haven't updated their webpage at Solidgoldfx yet. It's still showing.

And that Reverb listing is pretty high @ $265.38. So I guess I'll pass on that one.

Such is life....

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :atoz: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh well!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Jim C and kesslari like this.
  4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    The Horizon looks like something I’d like, somehow I’ve missed it all this time...

kranahan and odarellmc like this.
  5. odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    With shipping I paid about 240.00. I'm sure the shipping and the fact they not making it anymore had a lot to do with the inflated price..

6. odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    You can still get "one" in reverb shipping from the UK, remember they're not making this pedal anymore so it will reflect in the price.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. Never doubt it.

Discontinued effects, limited production brands or models (Broughton Audio pedals, Analogman KoT), anything old that’s been covered on the JHS YouTube channel…once word is out the price inflation starts. You couldn’t get $100 for a Korg Miku until Korg killed it. Then - instant collectible. It’s gotten as bad as action figure collecting. You’ve even got non-player flippers getting in on it now. I ran into a guy (bored retiree) who was looking for something to do and might ideally net a little side income. And he read in some home business book that effect pedals were a thing. So he does his research, reads the Analogmanu book, watches Reverb and eBay for awhile, invests a couple if grand in startup inventory, and now has a tidy little hobby business scalping vintage effects.

I doubt he’s the only one. ;)

odarellmc and Frodolicious like this.
  8. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Is action figure collecting a thing? I have a bunch of G.I. Joe’s from the late 70’s/early 80’s still.

wmmj, Loring, odarellmc and 1 other person like this.
  9. STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR GI JOES!

Do more compressor reviews.

Really can't believe this threads comin' up on 3 years...

I did a search on the thread for THAT Corp's 4316 chip, it has not been mentioned. It's used in the "One Knob Squeezer" by Wayne Kirkwood at the behest of THAT Corp.

From another forum, EBK describes it as: "One knob controls threshold, ratio, and make-up gain (hence the name, although there is a second knob for output level). Attack and release are adaptive. Nice, clean, soft knee compression."

I'm calling it THAT ONE KNOB COMP, even though it's two knobs: comp & volume. If I build it, I'll send it to you for review.

wmmj and odarellmc like this.
  10. odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    You need post some pics of the collection! i used to have gi Joe's in the 70s as well, fantastic toys..

11. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    what are some compressors that provide a wider range of tonal coloration than the Empress BC? I know the Fairfield Accountant, looking for other candidates

12. basstalkname

basstalkname

Jan 16, 2020
    I have it set for pretty extreme compression playing solo at only moderate volume. I'm sure the settings will change when I play at a higher volume with a guitar and drums.

Here are my approximate settings:

Tone 9:00 Attack 7:00 Release 11:00
    Level 12:00 Ratio 4:00 Sustain 9:00

Let me / us know how you set your Warden if you pick one up.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Diamond Bass Comp Jr and Broughton Monocomp do the tonal coloring thing very well. I wouldn't mention the Accountant along side of these though as they do more of a thick/fat/punchy coloring as opposed to the distortion you get from the Accountant.

remcult likes this.
  14. Zorg Oppressor is another cool naughty-little dirty comp in a similar vein to The Accountant.
    You can buy the pedal, a kit, or just the PCB. I like this business model.

Oppressor_Title.jpg
    DEC16_LNU_ZorgEffects_Oppressor_WEB.jpg
    Oppressor_web_hover.jpg

adipaoli89, Jesuguru, Teryup and 2 others like this.
  15. Teryup

Teryup

Oct 16, 2019
    Do you have any experience with this thing? I have been staring at the kit as a potential next project but I can't find all that much information on how good it is.

16. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I have the Darkglass Super Symmetry, which adds a nice dark syrupy color to the low end - it’s no longer made but their Hyper Luminal compressor has a Super Symmetry mode.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  17. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NY

I just got one on Reverb, very nice price, couldn’t pass it up.

kranahan and odarellmc like this.
  18. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    I've read bits and pieces of this thread...usually for specific reviews. But, I've definitely missed more than I've read. I'm looking for an always on, tone enhancer, magic sauce sort of compressor to replace my old Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter (the one with 4 knobs). On more neutral settings, the CM just adds some presence, clarity, and a little boost. But after 20 years of it being always on, I'm curious what else is out there.

The Drybell Unit 67 seems like a candidate. For those that have followed the reviews in this thread, what else should I consider?

kesslari likes this.
  19. odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Last one bro, nice!

20. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    I’m curious how it stacks up against UT&T LAB. @scubaduba

I didn’t get the one from UK. Another popped up on my search this morning, just about half the price.

And yeah, the Drybell Unit 67 looks great, too.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    odarellmc and kranahan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021