Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I highly recommend the Empress Bass Compressor for this application.

Loring likes this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Magic Sauce? Doc Lloyd.

Jim C and Low Down Brown like this.
  3. I got the PCB from Zorg this past November/December, but as high as it is on the "want to do" list, other circuits are higher up in the build queue — and life keeps getting in the way of build-bliss that would reduce the queue. Honestly couldn't fathom a guesstimation of when this will get its due, but just that it will... eventually.

Teryup likes this.
  4. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    That looks pretty cool. The graphics are a bit much, but I'm intrigued. I'm guessing this sort of falls into the same compressor category as the Drybell?

5. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    That looks like an improved version of my Carl Martin. More of a studio grade compressor, than the Drybell or Doc Lloyd?

6. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    Hello guys,
    Does someone here compared the Becos Stella and Empress Bass Compressor side by side ?

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Sure, what would you like to know? Both are fantastic and at the top of their game.

160DB333-9B43-4E53-A991-436B333A915A.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    bolang24a, Loring and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    The Doc Lloyd is so good. Sooooo good. I regret selling mine in hindsight. But I was getting magic sauce from preamp pedals and didn’t need/want it from my compressor, so I switched to a CaliCB, which has some more subtle special sauce, and ultimately with an Empress, which has little to no sauce. But now I kind of want to go back the other way again. The PDR is so juicy.

odarellmc likes this.
  9. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    I had a chance to test the Stella wich I liked very well, very versatile (not afraid lol)!
    I don't have a chance to try the Empress, but it the only other comp that is interesting me, it have just the control I want (MIX and SC HPF pots, not just a toggle for SC)
    I'ld like to know the tonal difference between the two ? I'm not looking for an overly colored comp : clean/transparent is fine, a little thicknening/punchness could be ok.
    Also, the Becos is much easier to find in my side of the world...

Loring likes this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Scuba's website (listed in his sig) has reviews of both - you can read about them there and make your choice.

Loring likes this.
  11. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    I read those two but was interested in a direct comparaison

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan

These two devices would be logical close competitors. I would be pleased to own either. Features comparables are similar with a few trade offs. Both are quite transparent. Both offer excellent metering. Both have the ability to stay out of the way or color your tone. Your choice. Both are flexible and versatile. You can dial in both to sound very similar.

If Stella is more accessible to you, by all means grab one. You won’t be sorry.

13. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    Thanks ;)

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I own both, love 'em both. As scuba said, they perform similarly enough. I can't comment much on coloration because I use overdrive pedals for that, but both do clean/transparent beautifully. Compare the feature sets to see which might work better for you. For example, I'm perfectly fine with the ratio switch on the Empress (2:1, 4:1, 10:1), but some prefer a sweepable ratio: the Stella has that, and it goes from 1:1 to infinity:1.

The Stella has more bells and whistles overall, but a mild caveat is that the power input socket is deep, and won't work with some power supplies that have short connectors, such as my Boss PSA wall wart (it does work with all the other power supplies I own).

chupacerveza and kranahan like this.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Tonal magic:
    Diamond Bass Comp Jr.
    Broughton Monocomp
    OvniFX Smoothie

Have not owned the Drybell so cannot comment on it.

Antman3820 likes this.
  16. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    Horizon came today, that was fast! I’ll check it out tonight.

17. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    Ordered the Becos Stella ;)

Low Down Brown and Fuzzbass like this.
  18. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm looking forward to what you think of the Horizon.

I got a little impatient last night waiting for my Mozztronics CO-2 and bought the Smoothie in the classifieds. The Mozz is still in OZ even after 10 days... Anyways, it's been around a year since I last had a Smoothie and figured I'd A/B it against the Mozz. We'll see which one wins out.

19. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I'm happy to see this since I just bought the diamond comp.

mmbongo likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If it doesn’t work out for you, pm me? Maybe we can talk. :)

davelowell2 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021