1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Thanks. As with any gear talk, I don't know if there's any "right" way to do it when it comes to mixing compressors. I'm sure it's a matter of preference. This is just where I landed. I didn't even try it the other way, flipping the compressors around, but I should. Just for poops and giggles.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

One thing for sure with the Smoothie announcement. The scalpers and flip sharks will be on it in a heartbeat. Can’t wait to see the used pricing spike in the wake of that news. Figure you’ve got about (maybe) a week’s worth of grace before it happens. So if you’ve been sitting on the fence about getting a Smoothie, now might be a good time to make your move.

Rich67 likes this.
  3. Too true, 40Hz. I can see it now... "OG SMOOTHIE — $897.23 or best offer, no trades."
    :rollno:

4. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC Area
    Okay, I finally understand the hype about the Empress Bass Compressor...holy smokes this thing sounds amazing. Even w/o the tone+color switch on it just makes everything sound so good - clear as a bell with warmth and weight to every note. Some other compressors in my collection should be nervous...

SB and Empress.jpeg

adipaoli89, HeavyJazz, Loring and 6 others like this.
  5. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    The 2020s is basically a compressor, a tape simulator, or something.

6. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    As they should.

kesslari, Loring and Ryan L. like this.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Just bought a Darkglass Hyper Luminal (in part) because of the review in this thread. Enjoying it so far.

8. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Edmonton, Alberta
    So I received my UT&T LAB in the mail yesterday and it truly is a wonderful comp!
    The simplicity of its two knob setup is just right, and the way the LED changes with the compression is super handy.
    I can't speak highly enough about the customer service that Curtis at UT&T provided. He even entertained a custom idea I had for the pedal regarding a special kind of switch, which turned out to not be feasible.
    The build quality is second to none and the powder finish is super robust. I still need more time to play around with it and figure out the perfect setting, but overall, I am very happy with this purchase.
    IMG_6832.jpeg

odarellmc, 1983L2000, MNoir and 8 others like this.
  9. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Shameless plug - I have a Fermata in the classifieds. It's a great compressor. The Tone control is a thing of magic, as is the Contour knob. Between those two controls plus the Attack I never wanted for a parallel dry blend. Plus - top jacks! It sounds more even than the Hyper Luminal, more along the lines of the Mozztronics CO-2.

kranahan likes this.
  10. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've been tempted more than once... GLWTS!

BunchyMutt likes this.
  11. TXBassTone

TXBassTone Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    This showdown will happen this weekend. Which one will win?
    9F7C64D6-2425-46EC-8A02-E81219B3E25D.jpeg

R&B, Raman, HeavyJazz and 5 others like this.
  12. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Mmmm. Color me intrigued. Maybe the EBC into the LA1A.

13. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Both won in my house. And neither are going anywhere.

R&B, Fuzzbass, Charlie Tuna and 2 others like this.
  14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Have you heard of the phrase “no win situation?”

R&B, Loring and TXBassTone like this.
  15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This one is more of a "no-lose situation" :D

R&B, Johno Dunn, Ryan L. and 7 others like this.
  16. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I was thinking "no win" as in no clear winner. But you are right, that would be a no-lose situation.

R&B, kesslari, Loring and 1 other person like this.
  17. My immediate thought was "DRAW!",

'Cause every one's a Winner BABE!

Loring likes this.
  18. Just came across the Gor 4, which according to Bass Player Mag's website was released 4 days ago, but is that site even active any more?
    "Dedalo FX launches LA-2A-inspired Gorila GOR-4"

I hate $%^&* website articles that aren't clearly DATED. "It's the new Blaboelbeo..." yeah, new in 2012 or whatever.

So, is this new version LA2A chronic Gor-4 new or a snore?

Greg75, StayLow and BunchyMutt like this.
  19. TXBassTone

TXBassTone Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well you all called it. They are both great and each adds something to the chain that I really like. Now I have to experiment with them before and after all the different pedals in my chain to see where they end up staying. One odd thing about the empress though: there was a lot of noise before it was engaged. Not a real big deal since it got quiet after engaging the pedal, but thought I’d mention it in case others have any clues about that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  20. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Is the Empress daisy chained to another pedal?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021