Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    There’s always a case for keeping both, lol.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Dear Señor Scuba,

The master list on page 1 hasn't been updated in nearly 3 months. Are there any new comps to add?

I've recently become interested in compressors, and have read a few of the reviews you posted.

One I'm curious about, that isn't listed, is the Keeley Bassist. Simple 3-knob set-up. Seems like a solid, introductory compressor.

BeauZooka and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  4. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    dedpool1052 likes this.
  5. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

sears, scubaduba, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  6. Nihilistic Milk

Nihilistic Milk

Mar 8, 2021
    I didn’t bring my board to band practice today and badly wanted a compressor half-way through the set.

I tried the only one the jam space had in stock, a JHS 3 Series Compressor.

I’ve owned many compressors and have tried countless others. All of them have been great. I didn’t think it was possible for a compressor to make things sound worse, but this one did. It thinned my sound. It was absolutely totally unusable.

To be fair, it is a $99 pedal aimed at guitarists.

I don’t like bashing products, but I thought some of you might want to be aware if you’re thinking of buying without trying.

YMMV, of course. Also, I’m precisely talking about the 3 Series Compressor. I believe JHS has two other compressors. I haven’t tried them and wouldn’t mind doing so for I don’t believe it’s fair to judge a brand based on its affordable series.

Fuzzbass and monsterthompson like this.
  7. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
  8. Nihilistic Milk

Nihilistic Milk

Mar 8, 2021
    If anyone wants to try the Cali76 Compact Bass, I’ve posted mine (my third one, actually) in the classifieds. I’m even including a 20% discount code for the Empress Website for when you’ll want to try the Empress Bass Compressor :bassist:

Loring and Fuzzbass like this.
  9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    How well do ‘bass’ compressors work on guitar. Specifically Diamonds, but also interested in general how well they work or why they wouldn’t work well. I’ve been tempted by a Cali Bass, Keeleys, etc but would like dual functionality if I’m to go down that road.

I understand why a guitar comp might not work as well on bass but vise versa?

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It seems to me that it wouldn't matter and that a guitar should work just as well, if not better, with a bass comp.

11. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

In general, most "bass" comps will work with guitar but some may not be optimal. The lowest frequencies of the bass have a lot of energy which tends to make compressor clamp down too hard on the signal. This can make the bass sound dull. Bass compressors usually have some sort of compensation for that, such as a high pass filter on the detection circuit, or parallel compression. The long wave-lengths of bass generally require slower attack and longer release settings. The tonal goals of bass, such as emphasizing punch over sustain, also lend themselves to different compression parameters. So, while a bass compressor will work, it may not be optimal for guitar. I would look for general purpose compressors with full parameter control if you need it to serve both instruments.

Lowendtech likes this.
  12. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    The Darkglass Hyper Luminal has a guitar mode. I use it in both my guitar and bass rigs.

One Way, Fuzzbass and Loring like this.
  13. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    The Diamond bass comp has a toggle switch to change the EQ point from Bass to guitar, and it works really well with guitar as well.

old_skool likes this.
  14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the insight, everyone!

15. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I'm pleased to report that . . . now that I'm going back to my rackmount setup . . . again . . . don't ask, it's too soon . . . the OvniFx Opto Smoothie works FANTASTICALLY in the effects loop of my rack pre with the -20dB engaged. Sounds so fat and creamy. I love it.

DirtyDuke, Rocksolid and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. Lowendtech

But.... your pedal board takes up an entire bachelor apartment....... wot?

kranahan likes this.
  17. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Therein lies the conundrum. Don’t worry. The pedalboard isn’t all going away.

monsterthompson likes this.
  18. ibuki

ibuki

Jul 4, 2019
    How long is the waiting time for FEA OPTI-FET?
    I am waiting for a long time...

19. Lowendtech

I’m not worried about that. It doesn’t even fit out the doorway.

kesslari, kranahan and jacoby75 like this.
  20. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Truth. It’s physically incapable of ever leaving. I’ll have to remove a wall.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021