Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Empress Bass Compressor Pedal - Silver

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    You can probably buy directly from empress for 20% off - I got an email from them last week saying something like that…

3. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanx Dedpool. Realized when I first got on sweetwater’s site I entered guitar then pedals. Duh? I did purchase the silver bass compressor though. Under bass guitar then pedals. I feel like Mensa material now. Also picked up the Lusithand alma from Reverb. I’m a sucker for black Friday deals. Thanx for straightening me out fellas.

dedpool1052, Fuzzbass and Loring like this.
  4. red_rhino

red_rhino Currently on Double Secret Probation Gold Supporting Member

Okay Okay Okay!!! Fine! The peer pressure is just too much. I bought one. (I'm so weak.)

scubaduba likes this.
  5. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Any thoughts on how the Lusithand Alma might compare to the Broughton Omnicomp? Clearly the Omnicomp has more controls, but that's not always a good thing. I'm guessing maybe the Alma is punchier, more colored?

Charlie Tuna likes this.
  6. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Alma is definitely punchier.

Charlie Tuna and BassikBrad like this.
  7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So say we all.

BassikBrad and red_rhino like this.
  8. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Midwest
    Fuzzbass and davelowell2 like this.
  9. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    For real, though. I just ordered an Alma. I have a problem. You had me at "punchy" and "Black Friday Discount." Those couple of demos on Youtube sound pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  10. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    I've got two comps on the way now. kicking myself in the a** right now for pre-ordering the new Empress para eq deluxe a little over a week ago at full price on Empress website, then finding out they have 10% off going on at sweetwater for the same pedal as a pre-order. Huh? I mean come on. We customers should have been given a 10% discount right off the jump for pre-ordering from Empress. To add insult to injury if we waited another week or so we could have saved $35 bucks. I just s**t my pants. Calling it Brown Friday from now on. Can I get a courtesy wipe please?

morrisonhendrix likes this.
  11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    It’s still a win to get anything from Empress though.

One Way, Fuzzbass and Loring like this.
  12. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    From the Becos website about the latest version of the Becos Mini:

"Additionally, a Side Chain selector sets for Feed Forward (FF) or Feed‐Back (FB) compression, both of which being served by a variable Side Chain Filter that controls how to respond to the higher (or lower) amplitude of the low‐frequency range of the signal".

I googled "feed forward/back compression" and got this:

Feed-forward compression feeds the audio signal into the sidechain before the gain reduction element. This compressor type anticipates the signal amplitude and adjusts the sidechain signal in advance.

Feedback compression feeds the audio signal into the sidechain just after the gain reduction element. This compressor type reacts to the signal amplitude without anticipating.

I wondered what could be the benefit of the feedback compression and found an answer in this article Feedback Vs. Feed-Forward Compression: The Differences You Need to Know — SonicScoop

Excerpt:
    "The main advantage of the feedback style of compression is that the detector spends most of its time reacting to a signal that’s already been compressed, leading to smoother compression and less over-compression.

The disadvantage is that the attack and release times are less precise..."

Adagietto, Fuzzbass, jacoby75 and 2 others like this.
  13. red_rhino

red_rhino Currently on Double Secret Probation Gold Supporting Member

Dang, that was quick. Got tracking info today. Probably won’t actually ship until Monday, but I wasn’t really expecting to hear anything at all until after the weekend. :thumbsup:

BassikBrad likes this.
  14. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    You could always buy a discounted one and cancel/return the first one.

Talk to them though. They should refund you the difference. It’s consumer law that they must do so in most places.

Derek Williams likes this.
  15. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Empress is out of Canada so I don’t know if consumer laws are being broken or not. Like Scubadubba said they do make professional pedals and they are worth the money. However, I jumped on the pre-order bandwagon thinking these pedals are going to go quick and didn’t think they would discount their newest offerings even though Black Friday and Cyber Monday were right around the corner. I remember Empress having the ribbon problems on the bass compressor debut and thanked my lucky stars I wasn’t one of the first to buy them. Dangled the Para-Eq in front of me and had me hook, line and “stinker”. Did I mention I s**t myself?

16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Canada has a lot of laws, and some morals.

Would take you less time & effort to ask than it does to post these dense blocks of text.

Derek Williams likes this.
  17. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    You’re right Staylow, I’ll have the audio version of my dense blocks of texts for you tomorrow after I call or text message Empress on Sunday. Thanx for the advice. I don’t want to strain your eyeballs.

18. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Let’s take the high road here everyone. We’re all in this together. In my experience Effectrode is pretty quick to respond so give them a chance.

19. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Gold Supporting Member

May 14, 2020
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I got a bit scared there, thought something was going on with Effectrode :D

Loring, red_rhino and Charlie Tuna like this.
  20. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Haha. Sorry. Let’s try that again.

Let’s take the high road. Empress is quick to respond so give them a chance. :)

One Way, BassikBrad, gonzkal and 4 others like this.