1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 21, 2018.

1. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Ok. ill do it....

Low Down Brown likes this.
  2. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Also have a the rt electronic multi band Jr and rt electronix broadband id be curious to here a review of

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Let's do it!

Low Down Brown and Mingus_Habens like this.
  4. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario

Shoot me a pm.....i'll send some sweet tubes as well as they do change the Effectrode….

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    [​IMG]

Dbass35 and Low Down Brown like this.
  6. Embra

Embra Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Quite a handy guide to compression from UA (apologies if it's been posted before): Audio Compression Basics
    Big fan of both the Opti-Fet and Cali76 Bass and both are always on for both my boards.

tminus10 and BurningSkies like this.
  7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've got a Drybell Unit 67 on the way.

31FE7E09-1851-4A42-940D-9A2301C9EBA7.

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    At first glance I think, another 1176 wannabe, and no threshold LED
    But then I read this; pretty serious approach to design
    About DryBell Unit67 - DryBell

9. One thing I don't understand about my PWNZOR (and maybe I've misunderstood something about compression in general) is that I'm not sure why the LED lights up brighter the lower I set the Ratio. Shouldn't it light up more when compressing more?

10. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    This arrived. Drybell Unit67.

D0735CA4-9D95-4BC7-8112-D14E3CA75A16.

11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've got a Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Micro on the way.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Interested in this in a way that says "I found their website adcopy annoying, but I guess it could be decent." Hard for me to consider 1176 circuit with EQ stage all that innovative, but it could be well implemented.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I was struck between total BS or, maybe these guys are really trying and the ad copy was sincere??
    This 1176 ciruit thing has become such complete crap.
    I would say that at least half of those that post about this circuit have never really spent much time with one.
    For that matter, how well did these manufacturers really studio EQ, transient repsonse, compressor action, compression balistics vs. EQ, etc.
    Secondly, I believe that alot of the United Audio / Urei tone comes from the custom wound transformers.

But folks say they can emmulate this tone with SS devices.
    What I don't know is how do these 1176 style pedals really compare with the real deal or a professional emulation (plug in)?

Lastly, I've had the opportunity to use all the real deal stuff when it was new.
    An 1176 was not always the best compressor for bass IMO.
    Sometimes a dbx 160, Distressor, Compellor, LA3A, Valley People, etc. would work best for a particular track.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There's good reason for the 1176 and the LA-2A to be classics but there's lots of leeway in the implementation, and they're not for every job. Fer instance one of the reasons people love the LA-2A is the tube amp-makeup gain. Not finding that on a whole lot of pedal versions. ;) That doesn't make any bass compressor pedals any less good for whatever people like them...but in the same way, a Fender tone stack in a pedal isn't a vintage tube bassman either. ;) I'd also entirely believe that the transformers are a big part of the magic of the originals...in the same way the Wolfbox or any other numbers of 'vintage' amp designs rest on the quality of the transformers for those boxes.

wmmj, NKBassman and Low Down Brown like this.
  15. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Agree with @Jim C , and raise ya to - what these have in common, which is visual monitoring of the performance. Should we split threads into Testing Compressors with, Testing Compressors without performance indication? :laugh:

Compellor. dbx 160. Distressor. Urei. Valley People.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I’d like to know if this pedal can leave the initial attack and overall tone unaffected, while just adding sustain on the back end. Like holding a note would just continue to ring out.

Or perhaps there is another pedal that can do this?

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Very eager for this write up. Big fan of koltai's work and love the size and price of this

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'd suggest a pedal with parallel compression -- i.e. wet/dry blend. Use moderate to heavy compression, but dial in a lot of dry (uncompressed) signal.

Just a few examples that do parallel: Empress, Smoothie, Cali76 CB.

40Hz likes this.
  19. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Generally speaking, the more you turn up the "sustain" the more impact the pedal will have on your tone, so you might be fighting a losing battle there with this pedal (or most sustain-focused compressors, for that matter) if you're looking for a significant impact on sustain.

I did find this pedal to be better at preserving attack and tone than most, but it still becomes fairly noticeable beyond mild settings. It isn't nearly as transparent on this aspect as something like the Keeley Bassist, but that is to be expected in pedal whose point is to produce a more noticeable effect (including specifically increased sustain).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Listen I can tell you without a doubt that my body is expertly crafted after Brad Pitt’s body circa Thelma and Louise. I’ve painstakingly recreated every detail through extensive research, development, and design. I’ve improved and simplified everything.

My body has all the great benefits (an actual body) without the complications (good looks or fame) and in a much simpler easy to use design. (no abs)

Marketing is awesome.

DirtyDuke likes this.