Testing for blown HF driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, May 8, 2001.

1. How do you check whether your HF driver is blown?

I've never noticed much of a difference with high frequencies when fiddling with the pad at the back of my cabinet (Ampeg svt410hln) - which makes me think I may have no HF driver in the mix at all.

Also, are there differences with the 410hln between the 2 input jacks (like the 806 cabinet has one input with the HF driver, the other bypasses it)?
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Not having seen a response to your post, I'll give my 2 cents. I'm not familiar with your cabinet, but what I'd do is make sure you have a LOT of high-frequency signal (i.e., treble) going to the cabinet first. Crank the treble and gain up all the way in the entire signal path - you should hear some hiss coming from the tweeter (make sure any noise gates you might have are shut off). You might have to put your ear close to it to tell (just be careful about any pops that come through which could damage your hearing). Another thing to try is isolate the tweeter terminals and test them with an ohmmeter to see if they are open-circuited. If your cabinet indeed has a separate input for the tweeter, obviously you need to plug the amp into that. Another thing it could be is the tweeter protection (if any) could have tripped or blown, which would block the signal. Finally, the crossover might have a problem and might not be feeding anything to the tweeter. Try to look at all the possibilities. Good luck.
    - Mike