Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing Imeidances???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I want to test to find the ohms on my 115 cab. I heard people talking about ohm meters. Where can i find one, and if it has the positive and negative pins, how do i use it?

2. You can pick up an ohm meter at Radio Shack or any electronics store. They way the operate will vary from make to make...read the manual.

When testing speakers with an ohm meter you won't get an accurate reading of their resistance. This is because an ohm meter only reads static resistance. Speakers are rated in impedance. Impedance is resistance that changes and the resistance of speakers change according to the load they're under. The impedance rating that manufacturers give their speakers is an average resistance. If you put an ohm meter accross the terminals of an 8ohm speaker it'll read about 6ohms or so, if you do the same to a 4ohm speaker it'll read between 2 and 3ohms.