Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing new strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by complexprocess, Aug 28, 2004.

1. I'm looking to test out a couple kinds of strings on one of my basses. I want to put a set on, test them out, take them off, and put a new set on. (I'd like to test flats versus rounds, steels versus nickel, etc...)

Once I decide which ones I like best will I be able to put them back on and get regular playing life out of them, or does putting them on and then pulling them off somehow mess them up? Just a thought that occured.

Thanks.

2. Id personally reccomend Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, they give a great slap sound and a add a bit off punch to your overall sound.
    On the other hand im currently trying to find out what strings the Late Cliff Burton used to try them out!
    Good luck with your testing.

3. I end up putting strings back on a lot. I get the urge to try something new, and hang the old ones in the closet if I liked them. I have four sets of things hanging now. Plus, each bass likes different strings, and when I get a new bass, it is back to buying different strings again and experimenting.

I understand from reading posts that there is a tonal difference, but I don't personally hear one. I normally do not like strings that are too bright though so if they do lose a little top end, so much the better for me. I have a set of TI flats that have been on many basses and I can't say that they change any.

I have had a set of TI Jazz rounds wear out prematurely and the first string unravel which I attribute to putting them on and taking them off so many times.

Anyway it is part of the fun in playing in my opinion, to see what different strings do to the tone.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Putting them on, taking them off, and putting them back
    on again isn't such a great idea. Too much stretching isn't
    good for strings....Once I tune to pitch, I pretty much leave
    them until it's time for a new set.

Slug

5. I asked d'addario this question, and the answer was that taking strings on and off once or twice shouldn't hurt the strings. I think the key is not to release the tension too sudden, so the wraps doesn't slip on the core. I've reused the same set of strings many times, and I can't hear any difference in tone.

6. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Take your time. I mean put a set on and play a couple of weeks before givin' a try to the next set of strings. First you need to play for a while to appreciate every nuance of a string; then a set will never sound the same once you put it off (expecially TI Jazz Flats). Try a set per time and record yourself!
    Enjoy!

7. I agree. I once got string-change-o'mania and changed so often that the only difference I could hear was the obvious steel vs. nickel or new vs. dead. It really takes some time to hear all that the strings has to offer.