Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing performance of SD card...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Jul 22, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have this SD card I bought for my PDA a few years ago...it's a 256mb, so I don't want to just throw it away...

Is there any way I can test its performance? I don't know what's wrong with it, but it has been loading images on my Palm for the last year really slow...

Even when I put it in my Laptop, it crashes it (sometimes) - I have tried to defrag it, chkdisk it, and have even did a reformat.

It just seems as though the card is unreliable...

Any ideas?

:)

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's strange, I've used them all, MicroDrives, CF, SD, XD, MMC, MemoryStick (every type) ranging from 8MB to 2GB, as well as about 15 or so of those USB Jump Drives ranging from 16MB to 4GB and while I have on occasion had some problems like you described (usually they would hang a Mac, but never had a problem beyond a few inaccessable files on a PC) and slowdowns with some of the ones that I leave things on over time (the camera cards are always wiped clean after use, but the USB's and some of the CF's and Memory Sticks we use for quick sneakernet file transters) I've never had a problem that a reformat didn't fix (and IMO, people don't re-format these devices nearly enough) I can also honestly say that I've never had one go bad before either, and I've treated them very badly at times. At any given time I've got 2-3 in my pocket along with some change, keys, and my cell phone. I've dented them, steped on them, rolled my chair over them, spilled stuff on them, and such. My main 512 USB drive has now gone through the wash a total of 5 times and short of the name being washed and worn away, it still works great.

That said, they are in some ways, sensitive memory devices, and while I've never had a catastrophy or casualty, that doesn't mean it can't happen (and I'm not trying to beat these things up, the stuff just happens..) Do you have access to a spare SD card you can try out to see if it behaves the same? It may be the device, cable, or the computer that is the culprit. Or see if someone else has a device you can try out the card in to see if that does the same thing.