Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing the waters: Anybody want a Fender Jazz?

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Eyescream, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi all, I know I'm still new and all that, but I wanted to post this up and see if there might be any interest in my Jazz bass. Since I got my 5 string I don't play it anymore, and I'd rather have whatever money I can get out of it than have it just sitting around in the way.

Anyway, without further adieu, here's the info:

MIM Fender Jazz
    • If memory serves, it was constructed circa 1993 or 1994. The serial number is MN3117957 if you're interested in checking that out yourself.
    • 4 string (new Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings installed)
    • Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups (professionally installed, OEM pickups included with purchase if the buyer wants them)
    • Arctic White body color
    • Rosewood fingerboard
    • Pretty sure it's a maple neck, but I can't really tell woods apart all that well. There's a strip of some sort of dark wood (rosewood, mahogany maybe?) running down the center, so I guess that makes it a 3 piece neck.
    • Small cracks starting at the upper bolts on the neck joint (by upper I mean those closest to the neck itself).
    • Repainted spot just under the output jack
    • Several very small dings on the body
    • Original tuners, bridge, electronics (SD pickups wired in professionally)

I apologize that I don't have pictures posted. I'm trying to work out hosting for them now since I'm sick to death of dealing with imagestation. If you're interested I'll gladly send you any picture you would like of the instrument, though.

More about the instrument: It plays really well, even if the action's a bit high. I've not messed with trying to set it up or intonate it, because at the time I bought it I didn't know any better, and now I just don't care enough about the bass to mess with it. It's got a nice, hot J-bass tone. The SD's really did a job on hotrodding the sound. It's got the standard passive J-Bass Volume/Volume/Tone pots. They're all nice and tight feeling and they all work with no scratchiness or any of that mess.

In addition to the extra pickups, I'll throw in the hard case I got it with as a way of saying thanks for helping a poor college kid out.

Now for the numbers: I'd absolutely love to get $250 for the instrument and the case together (no, I won't separate them, and no, I'm not taking the pickups out), but I'll take best offer. In any case, buyer pays shipping, and I'll get you a quote once we agree on terms and I find out where I'm shipping this to. I ship UPS through the company I work for, so you've no worries about your package being taken care of.

Email at eyescream@charter.net or PM me to see pictures. It's really a very pretty color on a bass that plays pretty well for a Mexican.

Thanks for looking, cats and kittens.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about some pics? I'm looking for a cheap jazz to slap a P-neck on.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Soon as I can get em hosted, I'll have pics up for everybody to see.

Is the email address in your profile a good place to send pics to in the meantime? I can get a few out to you right now if you want.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Updating the thread with pictures:

[​IMG]

Crack at the neck joint:

[​IMG]

Ding on the side (there's another on the back, and a small tear in the finish on the bottom side of the lower horn:

[​IMG]

Bottom corner of the bass, where it's like the bass has been refinished. This is just below the output jack:

[​IMG]

The whole thing laying in the case that I'm giving away with it:

[​IMG]

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bump.

I really am flexible on the price, guys. Throw me an offer and we'll talk about it.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Man, I wish I had the money. Good luck selling it!

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    would you consider a trade for a 6 string bass?

8. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I dropped you an email....interested....

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I wanted to take the bass to a shop and have the neck cracks checked out to make sure there's no problem that a simple setup wouldn't fix. We can wait until I find out, or one of you can take it as-is and do a setup yourself. Even if I do get it checked out and that's all it needs, I'll probably not do the setup. Reason I'm selling it is I'm a broke college kid, so that's out of the question. :) I can tell you all that it plays and sounds fine, I played it for about 7 years after I got it and didn't have any trouble out of it; but the action's a bit high (and I don't have the confidence in my abilities to chance trying to set it up).

If any of you are still interested, we'll see what we can do.

10. Basho

Basho Guest

Is this still available?

Would you consider a trade for a DeArmond Ashbory?

11. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Is the body wood alder or poplar on these? I think they used to be alder then they switched to poplar recently. Anyone know for sure?

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are currently alder AFAIK. I am not sure about this model year.

13. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

from what i remember the first mexicans were alder, then they went to poplar (somewhere before 2001, i think), and recently ('01) went back to alder.