Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing the waters: F Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyliee, Jan 15, 2004.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I currently have three F Basses, a BF6, BN6 and BN6 studio. The BN6 is becoming my main bass and the BN6 studio is seeing less and less action. I'm debating if I should sell it or not. It's quite unique, so I'm not sure what the market price would be on it.

The finish is a unique black/gold ceruse finish. I understand there have been very few of these. The bass is over ten years old and is in pretty good condition.

[​IMG]

The electronics were upgraded by the original owner. In addition to the Pe-Eq preamp, there's an Alembic Q filter as well. Both have their own volume controls and the bass itself can be run mono or stereo. To run everything, it requires external power. Included with the bass would be two external battery packs and an AC powered "stompbox."

[​IMG]

The range of sounds one can get from this bass is quite impressive; P bass to acoustic bass. I'm just not using it. So, I'm not saying its for sale, but if you were interested, how much would you be willing to offer?

Thanks,
    Eric.

2. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    I love F-basses, the sound of an F-bass is like no other, but man oh man is this bass ugly, just my 2 cents.

3. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Very nice. Black/gold ceruse is my fav F Bass finish ;)

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What are the controls?

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Here's where the fun begins:

6 way selector switch: This governs which pickup goes to which set of electronics. It also has a blend knob that is active in some settings.
    Pe-Eq electronics: Bass/low-mid knob; boosts a frequency in the lower register, upper-mid/high knob; boosts a frequency in the upper register, blend knob; determines which one of the other knobs has a greater emphasis. A better description is on George's site.
    Alembic electronics: Q filter and 3-way bandwidth toggle.
    Volume knob for each set of electronics. The output jack is stereo. Normally, only a mono signal is transmitted. Pulling up on the Alembic vol. knob changes it to stereo with one set of electronics on each side. Pulling up on the F Bass vol. knob makes it split mono. (mono signal on both channels.)

Take a look inside:
    [​IMG]

The guy I bought it from was nice enough to make me a CD of him stepping through some of the combinations. That really helped me learn what I could get out of it.

-Eric.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow!

If I can sell this Smith I've been trying to, I'd be interested. Well - what's the string spacing? Probably wider than I like. But those electronics sound like fun. :D

7. Yeah, I really want an F Bass :) . Looking for a great finger/slap style bass.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    lol. Ah love it.

That's hilarious that it needs external power. Once nuclear power can be shrunk, stick a mini power plant right in the bass! hey!

9. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    It looks like we're both in the Puget Sound area. Perhaps we can meet somewhere and you can check out the bass. I'll get you the string spacing specs. Definitely narrower that most Smiths I've tried.

10. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I would hate to have to find a loose connection in there!:eek:

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Actually that looks like a pretty amazing wiring job. Whoever did it definitely knew what they were doing. Look at the nice PC board positioning, the routing, and so on.

Do you have a schematic for it?

Also, that looks like a Studio bass, right? It looks like it has a couple less frets than a BN6.

This might be a pretty rare bass indeed. I think George has discontinued the Studio line, if I'm not mistaken.

12. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    As a matter of fact, yes, I do have the schematics for it. Comes to a little over 20 pages.

And it is the studio model.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Cool. Current F-Bass spacing is 19mm at the bridge (wide) but who knows, this is a funky one!

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am a little bummed right now. I messed up my car last night (ran in to my girlfriend's dad's bigass truck). my tail-light assembly, side of the body and bumper are messed up. Bummer.

when i saw the inside of that F and looked at this pic - it actually gave me a smile, the first one since last night.

thanks!
    :)

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm pretty confident that that bass is not an F bass studio model..

i know this because, well i live in hamilton, visit george often, i own a fbass studio model and my body shape is nothing like that...

this bass is a BN6

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    also, studio models have only 20 frets, this one has more.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    BN-6's have 24 frets... at least my 1999 does. This one is older, has less than 24 frets, has the P style pickups and the BN body detail near the bridge (which my 98 Studio 5 doesn't have). I have no idea what it is:D

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That's a beautiful finish. Presume the body's ash. I wish I knew how it was done.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Elfin magic.

20. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sorry, it is an older studio model. (10 years at least.)