Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing the waters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UnsungZeros, Jun 20, 2004.

1. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Ok. So, there's a female friend of mine I've been eyeing for a while. I think she digs me as well, but I'm not completely sure because there has been no definite evidence, only slight intimations that I can't draw conclusions off of. Now, I would like to get things moving with us, but I'd rather not leave an awkward dent in a perfectly good friendship or even potentially ruin it.

So, I come to my fellow bassists for advice. What's the best method of testing the waters with her without too much unnecessary embarrassment? Even perhaps tell of ways that haven't worked for you in the past. I defintely would like some female input as well. Please don't tell me to just ask her, because I DO plan on doing so. I'd just like to see how I stand before I plunge.

2. ask co-workers, friends, neighbors, hobos, muskrats ANYONE to talk to her to see if she likes you. :)

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That would be too direct, she will figure it out, and if she doesnt like you, then... :( you have it. Might mean the end of your friendship, too, or even if ti doesnt end it, it will be hard to go on with a broken heart...
    And sometimes when you think someone likes you or as you say you think she digs you as well, you can never know with women... I thought some girls digged me - but all they did was refuse me when the situ came... :(

4. Ask her “as a friend “ to give you some pointers on how to ask out a girl. Just tell her that there is a girl you want to ask out but are not sure how to approach her. Hopefully at some point You will feel comfortable enough that you will be able to tell her that the girl is her and then ask her out.
    One thing I can tell you for sure is that all the awful scenarios that are running around in your head right now are not going to happen. She is not going to laugh or scream or run off and tell her friends what a looser you are. Believe it or not, girls are just as insecure and confused as you are.

5. Trust me, if you don't ask her out someone else will and you will always wonder what could have been.
    I speak from expierence :(

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Write a song about it.

7. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Wow, you truly are emo.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hail to the King, baby.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lightweight.

I'd write an album about it.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I could fashion a whole musical opus, from that guys original problem. So nyah.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then I'd one up that, and write and epic novel about it. We're talking War and Peace here, bud.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ok, you win.

13. Thats so emo.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And that's why metal always wins. Metal does not submit!

(All though it may strategically withdraw)

15. If she's interested in you and dating / possible relationship, she'll prefer that you be confident in yourself and somewhat aggressive toward her :ninja: .

If she's not interested, then sure it may ruin a friendship... don't worry, it will soon be a distant memory. Hey, whatever you do, don't waste any more of your life worrying whether or not she's into you. Life is waaaaayyyyy too short to wait and worry ;) .

Good luck, now get the hell on with it and let us know how it goes :hyper: :) .

16. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003

17. actually had a couple songs partly written. If I do it then its metal. An album most songs with a solo (bass or guitar) but first I need to find a band around here that can practice more than once every other week :rollno:

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I wouldnt be so sure about that...

Well, then, explain what happened to me the last time... :rolleyes: The next day, when her friends saw me, they turned away to hide their smiles and laughter... :( when she threw me, I could almost hear them laugh as i passed... That was two years ago... not tried it again since... :(

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah and make sure she isnt already going with somebody... happened to me sometimes, that she told me she had another guy....

20. How do you know they were laughing at you?

The only way to get good at anything is to practice, this goes for talking to girls just like anything else.