Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Testing wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by topper, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I'm building my second bass and this one has some pretty complicated wiring. (www.mybassproject.com/frankenelectronics.html) I've hooked it up and can tell I've got some problems but testing it is proving really difficult. Is there any way to tell for sure which coils have current passing through them? If I tap the poles with something metal I seem to hear a slightly louder pop on poles that I *think* have current flowing through them. This doesn't feel very reliable though. Is there any other way? :confused:

Thanks!

2. You do have a digital multimeter, right? If you do it is easy to figure out what is going on... if not...

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i looked at your diagram, but it's hard to read. It looks like you missed a coil though cause i don't see ground markings on these two leads that ... well don't lead anywhere...

however: if this works, let me know because i want to try this as well. my idea would be to ditch the series parallel switch and put a blend knob in it's place.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm guessing that a tuning fork would act as a vibrating ferromagnetic element, that you could use as a "local" mechanical signal source in this way to indicate which coils were active. Has anyone done this?

{edit} BTW, I think you're a little harsh on TB on your website. Note only are there over a dozen posts of help preceding the post that you have trouble with, but there there over a dozen help posts following that post- including by the person you quoted! Not quite "met primarily with silence" IMO.

5. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be harsh. I really value TalkBass. Heck, I even bought a T-shirt! There have been a lot of posts since I posted my diagram, but after I posted my diagram it was four days before another post went up and ten days before a post that had anything to do with wiring. That said, I really do think TB is great. I knew NOTHING about wiring when starting this project and TB has been a great resource. I'm trying to do something fairly unique (and have no idea what I'm doing) and I wouldn't have gotten this far without TB.

The tuning fork is a great idea, but I don't have one. I'll have to stop by the local music store and get one and try this out.

6. There is one coil that should not ever be used. I didn't need it for any of the configurations I was going for. To talk more about these pups and how to wire them, visit this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178842

I'll try the tuning fork idea mentioned by PilotJones unless I work out the wiring problem before I get a chance to go to the music store.

7. Well, I figured out what was wrong with my wiring before I had a chance to buy a tuning fork and test this out. If anyone else tries this method, let me know, I'm sure this will come up again on my next project.