Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

testing yourself

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stuie86, Sep 11, 2003.

1. is this something every one should try once?

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. is it a good mind work out?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. or am i just werid?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. i have another anser

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i didnt know what one to put this in so mods can move it freely.

i dont know why i did this but yesterday i was just playing around and i deside to "test myself" i found a blind fold and some eir plugs.... this come in later

well i turned on my 4 track recorder pluged in my cd player and my bass it turned it on, then put on the blind fold and eir plugs, found a song i knew well and played along, as you could tell the only thing i could do was trust my hands and my head to do what they needed to do.

is any of this making sence to you?:p

well when the song was over i played it back, i played it perfect, better then i do when i think about it. no joke. im thinking about doing a song with longer hand movments today to see how well i do on that

is this something every one should try once?, is it a good mind work out?, or am i just werid?

discuss

2. Hrmm...

I think I would mess up a few times if I didn't look at it,but where else am I gonna look in my room?

I do it for a peace in mind...

sometimes I close my eyes when I play/fiddle around with a song I know damn well...

*shrug*

I suggest go for it,especially if you gig often,and have alot of hot chicks(or dudes) in the audience:)

3. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    no i dont gig often and its chicks...... thanks for the luagh osama

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ear plugs?? why ear plugs?!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why any of it?:rolleyes:

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I think they come in at the "listening back to what you just played" stage of the recording process. :)

7. Bruce Lindfield

In the land of the deaf - the one-eared man is king? :confused:

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Eh?! :confused:

Where I come from ear plugs are things you put in your ears to stop or cut down the volume of sound you're hearing?

Does he mean headphones then?

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Exactly. In this case, they might tend to give one a more favorable impression of the sounds one just produced while blindfolded: Put on your eyeshades, put in your earplugs...do we know where to put the cork? :)

10. Bruce Lindfield

"That deaf,dumb and blind kid....

11. id say testing yourself is a good idea. but i cant see how what your doing is terribly beneficial and whatnot...

perhaps if you put on songs you dont know and see how quickly you can work them out...that will make you improve more than playing a song you already know.

:bassist::ninja::bassist:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Doh - you had to ruin it all, by saying something that actually made sense!!! ;)

13. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well thank you for not just trashing me, it was just a werid idea i got.

i used the blind fold to make sure i couldnt look at the fret board just incase i felt like it, i used the ear plugs so i couldnt hear what i was playing to test finger movment andd placment, and how well i could keep time.

it may sound silly to you guys and it sure does look silly but i thought it did me some good

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well.. I wasnt trashing you, I was just confused over whether you actually meant ear plugs or headphones...

...but now i am goin to trash you.. well, just a little?

What in the name of the texa chainsaw massacre is the point is testing yourself to see how well you can play without hearing yourself play?!

I can see the point in testing yourself blindfolded... well kind of, you might have to play in the dark someday I guess?

..but with full-on ear plugs in?! Sorry, but that is an exercise in futility, in my opinion of course!

That said, on my bands latest recording I recored one track with a very bad headphone mix and I couldnt hear anything I was playing over the keyboards... and the track turned out spot on!
    Also, my gig on weds i could hardly hear myself play cause the acoutsics were so bad in the club.

..but it's not something I'll be practicing for in the future! :D

Good luck tho, keep it up.. one day you'll be able to play with both hands behind your back.. just dont coem to London and do it in a plastic box suspended above the Thames ;)

15. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well at least some one sort of gets my point.....i want to give the best performece i can even if things are working right, this is why i limited my 5 sences

and the eir plugs where mostly to see if i could keep time(but ive all ways been good at that)

oh and thanks bruce i added that "dumb deaf and blind" bit to me sig as you can see.... funny stuff

16. Bruce Lindfield

That was in reply to Gerald FitzChris!! ;)

17. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    oh thats a shame.... for some reson i like the nick name "the dumb,def and blind kid...

but oh well