Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tex Mex Tele Pickups

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Does anyone know anything about these pickups? I have a Tex-Mex strat and I know what materials they are made of.

I've agreed to buy a Nashville Telecaster which has Tex Mex Tele pickups. However, these are not listed in the Fender catalogue.

Are they made of the same magnet material and overwound, like the Tex-Mex strat pickups?

2. Thanks. I did search the review database - all of the reviews said that the Tex Mex guitars are the best value (I agree - that's why I have both - Mexican assembly and prices but all American parts).

I just want some specs for the Tele pickups but funny, they aren't sold separately like the strat pickups.

3. Oh well. In case anyone else wants to know, I emailed Fender and they actually responded in only a few hours. That was a bit shocking.

Actually, I'm a bit miffed...I just realized that they advertise the Nashville Telecaster as having US-made electronics but it says here that they are made in Mexico!!!

I'm going to send another email...

Pickup: Tex Mex Tele
    Position: Bridge
    Part Number: 0050893000
    Description: This pickup was specially designed to add power and punch to the Tele bridge sound. The tone is powerfully raw and full, with a smooth edge at the top end. The 10 K pickup is designed to compete with a full size humbucker for output and attack. The 10 K is a California design, made in Fender's Ensenada pickup shop.
    Wire: #42 Polysol
    Turns: 10,000
    Bobbin: Plastic
    Magnet: Alnico 5 Level
    DC Resistance: 8.0 K ohms
    Inductance: 4.2 Henries
    DC Resistance: 8.0 K ohms
    Appearance Details: Level Pole Pieces
    U.S. MSRP: $29.95
    Source: MEXICO

Pickup: Tex Mex Tele
    Position: Neck
    Part Number: 0053112000
    Description: This pickup was specially designed for a sweeter response. The tone is open for a rich full sound. The tonal blend being similar to that of pickups more closely associated with the Strat sound. This unique pickup is a California design, and another in a series of pickups made in Fenders Ensenada pickup shop.
    Wire: #42 Polysol
    Turns: 8000
    Bobbin: Plastic
    Magnet: Alnico 5 Level
    DC Resistance: 6.0 K ohms
    Appearance Details: Level Pole Pieces, Chrome plated brass cover
    U.S. MSRP: $28.00
    Source: MEXICO

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I had a Tex Mex Strat. I understand that the Tex mex pups are a cheaper version of the Texas Specials. There's a rumour that the Texas Specials are actually Van Zandts. I would hazard a guess and say that Lindy Frailins are in that teritory. Give them both an e-mail.

EDIT whoops no site http://www.mikelull.com/pickups/van_zandt.htm

and lindy fralin wont answer e-mail

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

shut up CS

5. It's funny because when I was juxtaposing the Tex-Mex Strat and Tele pickups, the strat bridge pickup was hotter than the Tele.

It's a bit moot because I just bought the Tele...I like the Tex-Mex stuff 'cause I keep finding them brand-new but heavily discounted (like 50% off!)! Whoo!

But isn't that blurb false advertising? They said US-made electronics but the pickups are clearly Mexican?

Maybe I should register on Fender Forum and see if anyone has noticed this...

6. The FDP is a great place to go regarding Fender anything, they have a lot of VERY knowledgeable people there.

I was banned over a year ago :D

7. Ha, I posted my emails on Fender Forum and they were removed overnight. I guess Fender doesn't want any bad thread - even if they are completely true!!!

Still, I'm a bit miffed 'cause I was told that my Tex Mex Strat had all-American parts when I bought it and now they say the Tex Mex pickups are definitely Mexican.

I'll never trust a guitar store salesperson again...NEVER EVER...